Thread: Intel Pentium Core G6950 vs Intel i3-530

Intel Pentium Core G6950 vs Intel i3-530

Introduction

What at primary glimpse, only 133 MHz clock distinction in looks is actually much, much bigger. The Pentium will be without many things starting with the lessening to 1,066 MHz memory interface, go with the reduced to 3 MB L3 cache on and stop the strike of the Hyper-Threading feature. In accumulation, there is the smallest branch that not supports SSE4.x. To what extent does this all a part and how big this is, the distance flanked by the two CPUs, we'll look more closely. We use this test but also in order to be certified by us in the initial Clarkdale simulated test results for the Core i3. Large differences are not predictable, however, for only the lack of AES functionality was not considered by us in the first test.

The Pentium was compared to the Core i3 way around almost all points trimmed. Ultimately, these restrictions also nibble at the price and power consumption of the processor, which might in the end as a big advantage out. For only a price difference of $ 36 is the market segment these processors already a small world. Commercially, however, remains to date not much left of the big difference on paper, separate the two CPUs in this country now for 15 €. But since there are not only the obvious differences, but some are deep in the cores, we also have the feature list again worn together. This demonstrates further small differences between the Core and Pentium i3 - SSE4.x keyword commands. Also the FSB clock is different. While the Core i5-661 went here with 3,200 MHz to work, it is the Core i3-530 "only" 2933 MHz. The Pentium G6950 is only at 2,400 MHz.

To observe the effects of all these differences exactly the same conditions must be created. To this end, the two processors to happen first in their normal settings the test. Then we take the core i3 and move with him in the direction of Pentium. This is to say that he is clocked in a first step to 2.80 GHz, download the Hyper-Threading feature is turned off. The main memory is reduced to DDR3-1066, the QPI link fixed to 2,400 MHz. Than differences thus remain the L3 cache and the internal features are available. In the later graphics test, we repeat the procedure with the beat of the integrated graphics, while the other sign will remain virtually identical.

Test System

3DMark Vantage

After the veteran 3DMark06 a few years beneath its belt and is therefore not only the graphics develop into a little grimy but looks beyond the CPU limit for fast graphics card is more perceptible, it was high time for a descendant. The Finnish company Futuremark has accordingly after a elongated wait, the 3DMark Vantage on the market, which had been programmed in advance for the Direct3D 10 API. However, since this too a hardly any months ago, we take the benchmark only in the course, for the reason that the results can also comprehend for everyone at home soon.

Re: Intel Pentium Core G6950 vs Intel i3-530

Cinebench

The well-liked, originating from Maxon Cinema4D is symbolized in our benchmark course in the form of Cinebench R10. The software uses raytracing to up to 16 processors, and thus profits from all presently on the market desktop processors from AMD or Intel. In our test, we present the mid-2007 published version of Cinebench R10. As usual, the charts show the one hand, the test with only one processor core, on the other, the multi-core test, which also utilizes Hyper-Threading.

x264 HD Benchmark

In several repeated tests, the performance when converting a high-quality videos in the light of the x264 code is shown. The tests split it into two parts, of which we publish with the version 3.01 of both the first and the second part.

Applications

The students of Washington State University developed Paint.NET was to replace the Windows XP built-in Microsoft Paint originally thought. In the last months and years it has matured into an adult program that can measure themselves with expensive solutions. We use the older version 3.36, since the version 3.5.1 with the benchmark tool PDNBench 3:20 did not want to work together. This tool simulates a variety of applications that you can make in the main program, and are at the end of the time required. Created by the test script runs through three times in a row, the average ends up at the end of our chart.

Games (1680x1050)

Having looked at all the games in low resolution and high details, it's time for practical analysis. Because no one plays an actual game in 800 x 600, was the most common resolution for computer-base in recent months, 1,680 x 1,050 pixels. Precisely what we show in high, respectively, maximum details including the use of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

Anno 1404

Call of Duty 2

Just more than two years, Ward was perpetuity with "Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare" new genre standards and published a real pinnacle seller, the general public was, and most reviews tremendously good evaluation points was able to in. No wonder then that the publication of the consequence to numerous months in advance hit huge waves. Overall, the successor is eventually precisely what one might anticipate to begin with: A game that has filled the large footprints due. We use the first mission of the second act, "Wolverine", for an analysis of performance on current processors.

Power consumption

The power is in our test track are specified for the complete system. In this regulation, all power-saving features of the platforms are in use, which includes Cool'n'Quiet, EIST, C1E and other things. Thanks to the contemporary 40-nm graphics card, which in the unoccupied also a very stumpy power requirements, in some cases appreciably lower values than in years formerly permitted, even if one combines the greatest processors with the currently best single-GPU graphics. In the test under complete load, the processors we rely on the good old Prime95 in the latest version.

Lynnfield that is the core i5 models 750 and Core i7-870 and four cores from Clarkdale with merely two cores, may look at first like a blunder, but you can without difficulty explain: Intel Lynnfield still gives the lower inoperative power along the way that is again and again accessible (more specifically at about 0.86 volts) below 0.9 volts. The Clarkdale, however move to the 0.9 volts, but usually slightly higher - up to 0.93 volts in it. In the end, this means that the Lynnfield cut in this authority at best. On the distribution of load you require to make after today no supplementary illusions. The 32-nm production Catches Up with the anyway luminous predecessors in this discipline from the identical manufacturer again something and even if the distances were not too older models from the mathematical value is too high, one should bear in mind that this is the fastest dual- core processor with the fastest presently consumes single-GPU graphics solution with full processor load no 120 watts. Finally, the new Core processors based on the Clarkdale need less energy and deliver more power in return. I3 Core and Pentium G6950 confirm this picture, the final requires, in full CPU load in our complete test system is not more than 100 watts – impressive.

Overclocking

A new production promises something more headroom in clock speeds - is not it? Since the first 32-nm Intel processors from house to already certified to 3.73 GHz, 4 GHz should be even with a CPU, which actually has only about 3 GHz, are an easy to cracking goal. This theory could also be implemented immediately into action - and then came the real fun begins. With a 205 MHz BCLK, we achieved stable 4.54 GHz. Hyper-Threading was still on, set the voltage to a fixed value of 1.35 volts. QPI's internal clock when we had such a high bar set separately of course and also the memory required a correction because both resemble the original BCLK of 133 MHz.

Playing the Core makes i3-530 with a BCLK of more than 200 MHz, which leads him on a bar across the 4.5 GHz. According to official specifications can be confident of the Clarkdale 1.4 volts - so it is still room for improvement exists. And the second test candidate must not hide. A 200 MHz BCLK is also in here, which ultimately means more than 4.2 GHz. The Pentium can also have increased the FSB clock to win the faster RAM (etc.) other percentages in the performance.

Undervolting

After looking in the last article could offset mode slowly get used to with , we use it for the new attempts at lowering the input voltage. We have the factory-set voltage to the test immediately lowered to 0.1 volts, which proved the Core i3-530 nor as stable. This is for normal operation, that the voltage is still only 0.8 volts at idle and under full capacity, the two real and two virtual cores in Prime95 not even necessary to provide a 1 volt supply voltage. The Pentium, it was in idle even a little further down, but the CPU voltage under load automatically raises something more than the Core i3. However, the Pentium will remain at 1.05 volts below the power consumption of a core i3 with less than 1 volt.

Value rating

We have picked out the current selling prices for all processors in the test represented at the cheapest online retailers and captured in a snapshot. Here, the price of only deliverable boxed CPUs, including cooler and full manufacturer's warranty is included. We have picked out the contemporary promotion prices for all processors in the test represented at the cheapest online retailers and captured in a snapshot. Here, the price of only deliverable boxed CPUs, including cooler and full manufacturer's warranty is included. As with the impression is the famous motto: If a processor in the price, it is moved in the chart above and its rating increased as a consequence. For this price / performance ratio, the overall rating is divided by the price and multiplied by 1,000. The result then represents the performance that is, rounded replaced, this time for one euro. We specifically point out again that can revolutionize the price of processors every day, so a everlasting correctness of the list cannot be guaranteed.

Traditionally, the field is led by the competitive two-core processors. The Athlon X2 for a starting price of less than 50 Euro are expected forefront in this category, the other two under test Athlon-II processors. As is often illustrated by the chart that you get a very high basic performance for a very low price. After that, the spiral slowly upward - slide the processors in the rating decreases significantly. The first 32 nm processors are settling in the lower middle, only the small Clarkdale for prices around 100 € in the discipline can stand quite well.

Performance-Power Rating

In this test, we will first introduce a new rating, which was requested by many readers in the past often. It is currently still in the testing phase, since many variables must be considered. In this first test, the rating comes into existence for the time being as follows: We put the power in the final performance rating with the maximum energy consumption (Prime95) to the value. As an instance, the Core 2 Quad Q9550, which ends in our presentation rating of 81.1 percent. At eye level of routine is 80.4 percent and the core i5 661, so that when the power almost a lash there. What decides now is the power consumption. The Core i5-661 draws a greatest of 119 watts under full load of our complete system drastically less than the Core 2 Quad Q9550, which devours a maximum of 178 watts. Therefore exists among the two subjects in the new rating is a large gap.

Conclusion

The conclusion to draw at the end of this test is not difficult. The Pentium G6950 gave us the image again, eyes out in front, we test with the Clarkdale already noticed was first at: robbed of the new processors in the turbo mode 'as well as Hyper-Threading, they are as fast as the previous Core 2 Duo . This resulted in the final test result in the Core i5 was just as fast at 3.33 GHz without Turbo and Hyper-Threading as a Core 2 Duo E8600 at 3.33 GHz. Today, a Pentium G6590 is as fast as a Core 2 Duo E7400 with the same clock. Benefit you have to keep the Pentium G6950, however, that he is once again a good bit cheaper and more power efficient than the E7400. Because where the power consumption of the Pentium with the G6950 is below the 100 watt mark (mind you with the full impact of our complete system including the current fastest single GPU graphics card ATI Radeon HD 5870) to a new record. Interesting were once again our special tests. Example, they have shown that the change in the internal QPI links little effect on the real performance. In addition, we have attempted to explore the influence of the differences between Core and Pentium i3. Clocked down to the core to 2.80 GHz i3, disable Hyper-Threading feature, simultaneously restricts the memory to DDR3-1066 and remain fixed in the said QPI link to 2,400 MHz, in the end only the L3 cache and the internal features than the differences between the two CPUs. And it is clear that the L3 cache is sufficiently large and mostly 3 MByte SS4.x is still too rarely used - noticeable to the everyday hard.

Should the new acquisition of a small yet powerful Intel-based system of the socket LGA1156 are spoiled for choice of the processor, then you have to actually take the test directly to the core i3-530. For less than 100 €, it offers a thoroughly engaging performance that is in the ideal case, all the old Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad, some small in the shade. To this end, the processor consumes very little power, so it is also suitable for small HTPC with not so adult cooling performance. The additional cost of just over 25 € for the next model faster Core i3-540 is not worth it, however, since all the features remain the same and the customer gets only 133 MHz more, which opens at the end is not significant in two or three percent increase in performance. That becomes problematic for the entry-level processors in the advanced 32-nm production by Intel, but if the view is outside the box in the warehouse of AMD. Here it is for 75 € which is a Pentium G6950 costs, already the equally represented in the test Phenom X4 620th This overclocked but only with 2.60 GHz (which brings him here and there in distress), but he can play just for newer applications and games, the power of four cores sovereign. This will end up in our rating so far that it acts on the total level of a core i3-530. The cost is well known but more than 100 €, and there is almost the AMD Athlon X4-novice 635, the sets are no longer only 2.60 GHz as the first model but 2.90 GHz for the day.