Thread: SteelSeries 7H: The headset for gamers

SteelSeries 7H: The headset for gamers

A headset ... It's been a long time since we had not tested any of these accessories, attached to the graphics that we are. We need to do our self-criticism from time to time. We always tend to look at what goes through the ear canal far less interesting than what passes through the optic nerve. Take any test - and I think it's not just about our site - or preview article we bow before the tessellation of DirectX 11 cards, a very realistic HDR lighting, terrain, textures. Paragraphs and whole paragraphs devoted to what is happening on the screen. And sometimes, when you think an "ah yes, about the music is nice," thrown to the end of a page. As if this aspect was vulgar, secondary.

These are not just journalists. I do not know if you play titles like World of Warcraft that sometimes require the use of a communication software like Team Speak. In a raid of 10 or 25, you always have two or three players who speak with a quality worthy of an announcement microphone station. Yes, plus when you have no luck, what are the essential information that you miss in these cases. Style, in a raid: "scrounch, you spend a tank, scrounch, you looking after, the DPS, especially scrounch you remain the boss when he invokes his scrounch. Go, go scrounch. And then you realize how some advise to take another microphone that comes with their first SoundBlaster twenty years ago.

Perfect for Gamers:

The SteelSeries headset features 50mm drivers with a remarkably wide frequency response that delivers rich and detailed audio reproduction. The headset delivers a clean and clear soundscape from mood setting music to critical 3D positional sounds and alerts. The design is simple and rather go anywhere. A microphone is hidden in the headset, switch on the cable can be cut. The matte black finish gives a sturdy at all, in any case it seems to behave. It has two interchangeable ear pads, leather or foam, for my part I preferred the comfort of the foam. The headset is fully removable to be easily transportable, but SteelSeries has forgotten the bag. The cable jack is 1m long, there is also an extension of 2m, there is impeccable.

The headset offers two interchangeable ear-cushions that provide long-lasting comfort: Open-type cloth covered foam ear-cushions with hear-through functionality and closed-type leather ear-cushions with noise dampening foam that increases passive noise isolation. The headset can be dismantled in 4 separate pieces, which allows for compact and easy transportation. The right ear-cup features an "invisible" pull-out unidirectional microphone system, that can be discretely hidden when not in use. The durable braided cord includes built-in volume and microphone controls.

The sounds are very well reproduced, also perfect in games is its primary objective. It has everything that is, low, medium and treble. The bad thing is the sound board, the cable jack that resonates in the headphones when you touch. It's a shame we had here a good quality headphones for 65$ that could be used also on mobile phone with built-in microphone and small footprint once removed, but the resonance effect may irritate in more one. It is therefore leave on the desktop for network play, which makes an already perfect headphones for gamers.

Quality comfort and Convenience:

Well, I must say that the headset I was using before was not specifically the worst in the world. I used it two in fact. The first games for a basic use, the second for most musical moments where I wanted a little less weight on the head too. The 777 is indeed a bit heavy and bulky. Anyway, I did not manage to eliminate one story to have a little son lurking under the ground. Yes but now, the 7H arrives and there, the past, I made a coffee table. The 7H simply do not stack the advantages of one or the other, it transcends all that I could put myself on the head until now.

Prior to hesitate between 777 and Carcharias, I always hesitated between headphones and speakers. The speakers, it's better for 3D effects, non weight above the head. Unfortunately, circumstances do you ever have to wear headsets. Simply place it on the skull is already a first fault. Well it's hard to believe but the 7H is already comfortable. The fact of the post is not in any discomfort. Instead I am tempted to say. It is even very nice.

The 7H is circum-aural, it completely covers the ears. But unlike all the other headsets of this kind that we have tested, it cuts both ways. Those around you do not hear your music and you hear less noise from outside. With pads. We found two pairs in the box. This is the default faux leather upholstered, it allows them to isolate themselves. The pair foam is nice but conventional advantage and leaves the sound go in one way or the other. In fact, I have not seen a single benefit to the pair of foam. So alongside removable pads. However, I found a very unexpected advantage to the semi-leather. I work in attics, under roof shingles. Needless to say that at this moment, it's not very pleasant to work between 35 and 40 degrees. Not to burst, I put a wet towel on the skull. If the foam pads come in contact with water they will rot at the speed V. Those semi-leather, however, are not incompatible. And the headset perfectly greenhouse towel that does not fall on my eyes.

In terms of comfort, this headset will meet the requirements of even the toughest players. The pads are incredibly soft and the question "is what one is better with or without the headphones, I tend to meet for the first time in my life is better with that.

Re: SteelSeries 7H: The headset for gamers

A regular little bandwidth:

Regarding technology, the headset offers a bandwidth wide enough, 20 Hz to 21,791 Hz It is not very regular, and is the main weakness of 7am. We have evaluated more than 6 dB. By studying the curve drawn by our testing tools, we find that some frequencies are difficult mediums resulted in the headset. However, the 7H is not suffering the same handicap as his predecessor did not have this "veil a little light" that was lacking in 5H v2 when listening to music. Moreover, for this purpose, no worries. The bass is very present, and acute enough singing. Only high mids are struggling to break into the "mix". It even happens that the headset vibrates slightly when big bass are hitting very heavy membranes speakers 50 mm.

In games, it's a treat. We will all travel, even distant, the spatialization of sound (in 2.0 yet) is quite successful. So you'll know quickly where your opponents and you will act accordingly. Note that a version of the headset equipped with a USB 7.1 sound card is also available for 30 euros more.

Excellent, whatever the circumstances:

But comfort is not everything. We'll have to talk figures. Firstly, the cord. I think that in this respect, regardless of size imposed by a manufacturer, is necessarily imperfect. Too short, you will obviously not happy too long, with a wire trailing and mixes with the other, ditto. And too long to you may be too short with me or vice versa. SteelSeries has opted for a centrist option: the headset has a length of one meter and is supplied with an extension of two meters.

The proposed frequency ranges from 10 to 28,000 Hz with an impedance of 32 O at 1 kHz. This does not speak? Know that in all operating configurations, playing, watching a musical comedy, an action film, HD video, being in the raid, this headset does not want me to resume my old equipment. I do not know if I become more demanding, but I hated rewind the MP3. The real CD or FLAC files are much more pleasant, whatever the style of music. Should we feed this headset with refined foods, good Fauchon FLAC instead of MP3 Lidl?

Therefore, I tried a comparative CD / MP3. The CD versions are much more interesting and far. Here, you wonder if I'm not doing the truisms! Obviously, a piece is much more enjoyable in its original format rather than compressed! Yes but the game headsets we've talked so far offered an acceptable sound quality but do not really allowed to sublimate uncompressed. This is the case here, with great comfort.

After a few nights in raid, it is clear that the microphone is no different from all its competitors. We would like to see manufacturers like Razer and SteelSeries is a bit loose and offers a software change voice in real time, as the official accessories WOW.

The 7H meets present at all what one expects from a headset and provides a music listening much more pleasant than anything we have been testing so far. The test would be just five minutes, is to adopt it.

SteelSeries 7H highlights:
    • Optimized soundscape for crystal clear high, low and mid-tones
    • Interchangeable ear-cushions for both hear-through cloth and noise dampening leather
    • 50 mm driver units provide rich and detailed audio reproduction
    • Pull-out, "invisible" microphone
    • Travel friendly and can be dismantled into 4 separate pieces

SteelSeries 7H Specifications:
    • Headphones
      • Frequency response: 18 - 28.000 Hz
      • Impedance: 32 Ohm
      • SPL@ 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 112 dB
      • Cable length: 1,0 + 2,0 = 3,0 m (9,8 ft.)
      • Jacks: 3,5 mm

• Microphone
      • Frequency response: 50 - 16.000 Hz
      • Pick up pattern: Uni-directional
      • Sensitivity: -38 dB

Conclusion:
    A USB edition of the SteelSeries 7H headphone is also available, delivering optimized sound outlines for first person shooter video games as well as MMO and real-time strategy gamers. It also offers customizable environmental settings. With this USB version you get 7.1 virtual surround and allows the players exact equal sound and settings no matter where they situate on this planet or which computer they are using to play.