Thread: Google G1 Android mobile phone

Google G1 Android mobile phone

Made by Taiwan's HTC Corp, the G1 is being released on October 22 by T-Mobile in the US and will cost $179 with a two-year contract. The device, about the size as the iPhone but plumper, will be available in black or bronze. It sports a large touchscreen, and the lower smidgen of the device is angled -- the curvature seemed more stylistic than functional to me -- and sports four buttons and a trackball.

G1 lacks Apple's patented"multi-touch" technology – which allows users to make pinching and expanding gestures with their fingers to zoom in and out of web pages and photos on the iPhone's screen – the G1 retaliates with some tricks of its own, easily enabling users to magnify areas of a website at the touch of a button.

Beneath the touchscreen is a slide-out QWERTY keyboard that makes the G1 feel like a grownup's version of another device T-Mobile sells, the Sidekick. The keyboard will appeal to anyone who, like me, still prefers the feel of physical keys rather than virtual ones on the screen.

There's also an adjacent microSD card slot that comes loaded with a 1GB card. Don't lose this tiny card, because it's the storage spot for photos and songs you want to access on the G1.

If you want to invest in more space, the G1 supports cards up to 16 GB.

the G1 was easy to use. It includes an intuitive interface and many of Google's familiar services, like search, Gmail and Google Talk.

There's also Google Maps, which is enhanced by a built-in compass that lets you see locations in the "Street View" feature by moving the phone as you hold it.

I had no trouble doing things like instant messaging my friends, searching for bubble tea stores near my apartment, and yes, making phone calls. There is a good-looking browser that is pretty simple to navigate, and the device's screen is clear and sharp.

The G1, like the iPhone, lacks support for Flash videos – the sort of video clips we use on our Telegraph website, for instance – because of the type of processor chip used in the phone. And despite having a three-megapixel camera (still a paltry amount considering that Samsung recently launched an eight-megapixel cameraphone, but still a whole megapixel better than the iPhone, nonetheless), the G1, like the iPhone, can't record videos.

Annoyingly, the G1 lacks a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, so I'm afraid you can forget about using your hideously expensive Bose noise-cancelling headphones with it – you're stuck with HTC's proprietary earphones.

This could change, though, as the network is still quite new and there are not many phones running on it yet. The phone also works on T-Mobile's slower but more widespread EDGE network; however, data functions aren't as zippy.

On the back are the camera lens, a small but surprisingly loud speaker and the enigmatic words "with Google." The battery is replaceable, though I had to stop when I tried to get the back cover off because it felt like I was about to break something.

Open the phone up, and it's even ungainlier. You have to rotate it 90 degrees to use the full QWERTY keyboard, but with the thick bottom part hanging off to one side, it looks unbalanced.

The downside of all the talking, Web surfing and content downloading is that it can quickly run down a phone's battery. The G1 promises up to five hours of talk time and nearly 5 1/2 days of standby time, but who's going to simply chat on a smartphone or let it sit gathering dust?

I gave the device a fairly realistic battery rundown -- on-and-off use of multiple functions and applications and the phone's 3G and Wi-Fi network capabilities. It's safe to say people with a serious multimedia habit will have to keep a charging cable on hand.

A key element is the Google-run Android Market, which lets third-party developers offer add-on programmes and games that you can download wirelessly to the G1. For now, downloads are free, but eventually some may cost money.

There weren't that many programmes available when I tested the G1. I counted about three dozen applications and 10 games, a fraction of what Apple's iPhone App Store contains but more should come soon. And while Apple has been slowly approving iPhone applications and rejecting some that compete with its own programmes, the Android Market is more open to developers.

Some applications take advantage of the G1's GPS capabilities, like one called "Ecorio" that tracks your trips and computes your carbon footprint. The G1 also connects to Amazon.com Inc's online MP3 store, which was easy to browse and offered quick downloads of songs free of copy protection.

Google has signed a deal with Amazon to provide G1 users with one-click access to the Amazon MP3 store. The store is currently only available in the US, but rumours have been building for a while that it would be rolled out in the UK by the end of this year, and that would certainly tally nicely with the G1's November launch date.

"Our goal is certainly to make music services available in all regions," said Andy Rubin, Google's senior director of mobile platforms. He was also keen to emphasise Android's scalability and flexibility, calling it a future-proof platform. That's because users of the G1, and other future Android handsets, will not only benefit from frequent improvements to the phone's operating system, but also from the ability to add extra programs and software to the device by downloading applications from the Android Market.

This online superstore of additional content is the result of Google's decision to make Android"open source", which means anyone can write software for the platform for free.

Although the Android Market is still in the beta, or test, stage, there's already a healthy selection of really excellent applications that suggest a great deal of innovation in this platform in future.

Unfortunately, video and song playback is hampered by a major hardware shortcoming: the G1 eschews a standard headphone jack in favour of an included but uncomfortable earbud headset, which plugs into the mini USB port that is also used to charge the phone.

This poses several problems, as you can't use your favorite headphones without an adapter and it's impossible to charge the G1 while listening to music or watching videos, unless you want to use the included speaker.

G1 will improve soon, partly through its over-the-air software updates and additions to the Android Market. Google's search engine was not the first of its kind, either. And we all know how that worked out.

the G1 offers a solid introduction to the joys of Android, and provides some tantalising glimpses of the platform's future. The sky's the limit for mobile phones it seems, and, with time, Android could very well be out of this world.

Re: Google G1 Android mobile phone

Google G1 is no very outdated old model. Today the most recent phone which appear is Google Nexus. You must have a look on this phone. Equipped with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system the phone is rich in features and interface. Following are the technical specification of this phone.
    • 4.65" HD(1280 x 720) Super AMOLED Screen
    • Contour Display (curved glass)
    • Storage: 32GB (LTE), 16GB (HSPA+)
    • Memory: 1GB RAM
    • 5MP continuous auto focus
    • 1.3MP Front
    • LED Flash
    • Zero shutter lag
    • Video recording in 1080p
    • WiFi & Bluetooth
    • Micro USB
    • Battery: 1850mAh (LTE), 1750 mAh (HSPA+)
    • CPU: 1.2 GHZ dual core processor
    • Mics: 2 Mics
    • Accelerometer / Gyro / Compass / Proximity/Light / Barometer

Re: Google G1 Android mobile phone

There are number of Android phone which are released after G1. There are low and high range as well. The most affordable phone is Samsung Galaxy Y. This phone comes with dual sim support and android gingerbread. Good in interface and look the phone offers a nice features and all android thing you can try in this. There are some advance phone which are competes with Android. You can see some higher range under Windows and iOS platform also.