Thread: Can I charge my mobile through usb port of a monitor

Can I charge my mobile through usb port of a monitor

I am looking for a decent charging solution for my devices. I am having a small office and it happens a number of time people come and they ask for charging. Most of them are having a usb charger. I am having two usb ports on my monitor. I want to know that, can this be used for charging. Will it cause any problem in future. I also use this ports for transferring files sometime. I want to add around 4 to 5 charging cables here. And there are two. So can I extend that by suing a usb hub.

Re: Can I charge my mobile through usb port of a monitor

Yes you can do that. It will not cause any problem. But the charging will be slow. There is one thing you can do. buy a 8 or 10 port usb hub. It will come with a power adapter. Connect that to the power source and use that for charging only. Do not connect the hub to your pc. I am having one and use it for the same purpose. It easily charge more than 1 devices and also at a faster rate. If you use multiple charging cable on a single port then I think the charging will get slower.

I would recommend just buying one of those standalone USB charging stations that can be hooked up to the power. They will charge devices much better as they are suited for that. Not too expensive either.

There are some nice docks on the web that you can use for the same. Do not buy one that has a single usb cable. Rather buy a dock which is delicately designed for charging phone. Different type of phones are having different voltage requirement. And it happens that due to improper charging the life of battery is affected. Docks are cheaper and can be found on many online shop. This will be dedicated device with their own power adapter and you wont need to connect them to your pc.