Thread: Does a laptop battery gets damage due to overcharging

Does a laptop battery gets damage due to overcharging

I have a new lenovo laptop. Most of the time after connecting it on the charging I simply forget to remove it. I want to know that does overcharging can kill the laptop battery. I charge only when there is very less power left and then in mean time while working I just do not remember to uplug the same. This mostly happens in the night time. The laptop keeps on charging for the entire night. I hope this does not cause any major issue with the laptops battery life. I am trying to disconnect whenever possible.

Re: Does a laptop battery gets damage due to overcharging

Overcharging can cause issue in long run. It can reduce the battery output. It is recommended that you must disconnect the charger when the battery is full. Or else the battery capacity can be altered. I had seen this in many old laptops. You are having a new model so it will be covered under a year warranty. There is nothing worry about the same right now. But as the warranty will keep on reducing you have to take care more about using the same. Official laptop batteries are costly.

Re: Does a laptop battery gets damage due to overcharging

My brother is having a latest dell laptop and this has a unique charging ability. I had seen this a number of time. When I connect the laptop the charger a light glows at the front side below touch pad. And when the laptop battery is full the light turns off even when it is connected to the power. That means the laptop turns off the charging automatically when charging is over. This does not effect the battery life at all. It is almost 8 months over I am using this laptops and it works fine. There is no issue in the battery life. You have to check that does your system has the same feature.