Thread: Is it safe to install a antivirus on rooted android phone

Is it safe to install a antivirus on rooted android phone

I had rooted my device and installed custom rom on the same. I want to know that is it safe to install a antivirus on the same. I am gong to test different rooting tools on it. Most of them are based on modifying the core files. I want to install the antivirus so that I can protect the phone from malware. It is very common that this rooting apps which are available in the market might be having some security issue in them. A antivirus can stop the same. But on the same time does the antivirus will mess up with the custom rom.

Re: Is it safe to install a antivirus on rooted android phone

It depends on the rom you are using. If it already has some malware files then the antivirus will surely delete them. And this can cause unstability on your device. You can test this by simply taking the backup of your rom first. Take a full backup using a rom manager. And then install a good antivirus. Go for the free edition. And check whether this is working well or not. If it gives any issue then you can restore the rom back through simple custom recovery process. And if it works fine then you can use it.

Using a antivirus is always a good solution. Because there are many benefits of it. First you can protect your system for getting malware. After rooting your system is more vulnerable. It is good not to install free games. They can create more issue. I had seen people blindly downloading a lot of free apk files from the web and add them. After few time the phone get slow. And if you are doing this never use your phone for making transaction. Because your data can be leaked on the web.

Install AVAST on your device. It is a good antivirus and it does not consume much resource. There is one problem with using this kind of security tools. If you try to install a third party apk file and if it has any security hole in it then the antivirus will not allow you to add anything. You will get a popup warning about the same. After installation the antivirus will remove the file from the phone storage. It is always safer to use a antivirus in your device. Because it avoid a lot of threats.

I do not recommend rooting and installing custom rom. There are big issue with that. Custom rom is something like a pirated operating system. You install that and with it you also add too many issues in your phone. It is always best to use the official rom if you want to stay away from threats. It will be very complicated to deal with it once your device has some kind of infection. You cannot remove it easily. If you are having the official rom then it is not really necessary to use a antivirus.

Get a free antivirus on your device and that will be enough. Free antivirus also has enough options to protect your device from so many threats. I think AVG is the best and light weight one. You can use it and it will not create any issue. It is right that if you try to add any third party apk it might not allow them. The setup will crash. Rooting allow you many option to test the potential of your device. You can tweak the phone. If you are using custom rom then use a reputed one. That will help.