Thread: Does installing antivirus slow down Windows Surface tablet

Does installing antivirus slow down Windows Surface tablet

I am going to get a new tablet and this time I am planing to get a windows one. I had seen a few good models in a nearby shop. Among which Dell Latitude is really amazing. I want to know that does there is a requirement of installing a antivirus in the tablet. Is it essential or we can go without it. I am going to use the tablet for day to day age. I will use to for net surfing and other stuff. I am not going to install anything in the tablet. But there will be a lot of data transfer over wifi.

Re: Does installing antivirus slow down Windows Surface tablet

Its the same windows platform so surely there can be issue with security. It is essential that you must use a good antivirus. If you are going to connect the tablet to different pc for sharing files, and if you are going to install browser plugins, then you will need a good antivirus for the same. If you buy a tablet with good hardware configuration then it might work. But if you have low end hardware then it will fail to work. You must try some free antivirus. I think the best one will be MSE.

I think so. That is due to the low end processor. And if you overload the tablet with too many application then it will surely get slow down. For antivirus use a lightweight one. In android you can find portable antivirus which are a different edition compare to the desktop one. And they work similar to the desktop version. But in Windows tablet there is nothing like that. There is no portable tablet edition available. You install the same one which you install on regular desktop and then it will slow down the output.

AVG has a separate sections available which is dedicated for iOS and android. I think this would be the lightest one you can find. You can install the same version which you are going to install on your desktop based pc. IT is right that do not overload your tablet with many apps. You can install avg and use it. I am using this on my desktop from long time. And for windows tablet the same antivirus will be used the one which we get on the pc edition. Due to limitation of ram and cpu power, the tablet freezes.

I had tested a few one. The best thing you can do is install mse in your tablet. You can download that from the official site of Microsoft. Install that and update it. Turn the firewall on. This security is more than enough for usage. There is no need to add any other third party program in your system. MSE is good anti-malware also. It is light and will keep your system protected. You have to turn on windows update also. So that you can get regular security fixes from time to time. Updated windows have less security problem.

I do not really think you need a antivirus for that. Windows Surface tablet has Windows Defender installed on the same. And it is on. If not then you can enable that. You can do one thing. Try testing cloud based antivirus. Cloud antivirus scan the pc through a internet and they are a bit more accurate compare to the regular one. There are some light weight antivirus available, but I do not think you would be happy with that. Avoid using any usb or memory card directly on the tablet.