Thread: Tweaking Windows 7 for a netbook

Tweaking Windows 7 for a netbook

I want to provide Windows 7 for a netbook. This netbook is having a Intel Atom cpu with 1GB ram only. Somehow I am able to find 1GB ram more for the system. I want some way through which I can tweak the operating system by removing most of the thing. I just want the operating system and Microsoft Office. I am going to use Open Office here. There is no other things I need. I can disable those but they still remain in the system. I want to remove them completely so that the operating system must consume more less ram.

Re: Tweaking Windows 7 for a netbook

For that you have to choose the windows edition. Like you can go with Windows 7 Start edition. This one is the most basic one and comes with minimum things. Remember that this starter edition does not has a mutli-monitor support, no media center, etc. It is light and good for netbooks. You can install this and I am quiet sure it will not require much higher cpu to run. You can buy that at a cheaper rate. Now this edition comes mostly pre-installed in many system. I am not sure about the disc.

If you are not having a proper edition then you can go with anyone but you can tweak it. That means you can modify that and make changes in the same. You can reduce things which are not needed and improve the speed. You can do that from control panel. Just go in that and then click on uninstall program. At the top left you can see a option as turn on windows feature on/off. Click on the same and turn off those things which you dont need and check back. I am quiet sure that will work.

To keep your windows performance good you have to take care of few things. Like do not install any unwanted stuff. If you are not going to connect the system to internet then you can avoid using a antivirus on the same. You can go in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. And you can disable various things from here. Just right click on things you dont have and turn them off. Second go in ms-config and click on services. Turn off all those things which you dont need. And then check back.

There is one free tool which I had used to make my system work faster. It is called as Ultimate Windows Tweaker. This tool has option through which you can disable many things in your system. Like you can tweak the ui completely. You can remove things and make it extremely light to work. You can get rid of unwanted stuffs. It is an great software which works really well. I do not think you can find anything better than this. Just install the same and disable stuff you don't want.

If you need something really lightweight and good in terms of performance then you must go with Linux operating system. You can install Linux Mint in your system. This Os is very light and fast and it has minimum things in it. The good part of using Linux is that it is very less battery consuming. It is fast and works great with different applications. You dont have to remove things from it. You can try using any lightweight Linux OS from the market which will do the job.