Thread: Increasing battery life of Sony DSLR

Increasing battery life of Sony DSLR

My uncle has a Sony DSLR camera with some lens kit. It is a old model. I borrowed that to take some nice photos of weekend. But I found that the battery drain out really fast. Just around a hour of usage the battery is lower to 90%. I am unable to figure which part of my camera is eating too much batter. I have a LCD screen at the backside which turn off automatically after few seconds when I am not using the camera. This must preserve some battery. What more option can I turn off to increase the battery.

Re: Increasing battery life of Sony DSLR

Go in the camera settings and see if you are having any power saving mode in that. Many DSLR has this method. When you turn this ting on the camera automatically manages the lcd brightness and its sleep time. Through which you can extend the battery life ab it more. If you are not having any power saving type of stuff then you can try to adjust the settings manually. Reduce the lcd brightness. That will add more to the battery. You can carry spare batteries with you.

Battery drain fast if you are trying to take photos in cold condition. You must keep the battery warm. Remove it and keep that in your pocket or in the bag. I had seen many professional photographer who carry a heat pack with them. Through which they can keep the battery warm and this prevent battery for draining fast. This also extend the battery life. It is right that you can keep a few spare batteries with you. If you are using flash then the battery will drain out really fast.

A DSLR comes with many additional features. You can turn them off to save the battery. You can find those things in the camera settings. Like the image stabilization. This feature simply try to add stability to the image which force the camera to use more battery. Instead you can use a tripod. Also turn off auto focus. For beginners this will be a issue but for professional photographers this is easy. You can stuck the camera on manual focus and prevent battery loss.

If you are camera is having a gps then turn it off. You don't really need them. Today many DSLR comes with wifi and gps. You can turn that on when you are at your home and you have appropriate charging point. Try to reduce the image settings to a lower one. Like reusing iso to mid and also reducing the video mode. IF you go with full hd then your battery is more used. You can use a decent settings that can provide you nice photos and videos. If you are using everything on maximum then surely the battery will drain out fast.

There is one more thing you can do. When you are trying to take photos in day light do not use flash. Turn it off. And in night you can try to take images under other light source. Flash consume a quiet nice amount of battery once clicked. So it is good to avoid the same. Use flash only when needed. Avoid using burst or hdr shorts. This also need a nice amount of power to produce image. Once you can check inside the settings to turn off options that are not required.