Thread: Advice for a budget external hard drive to gift

Advice for a budget external hard drive to gift

I want to gift a portable hard drive to my friend. I am looking for a budget solution. I have to courier that to new Delhi where he stays. I am not so good in online shopping and I am not really aware about new models in the market. I new a bit old phone but they are too costly. They are just out of my budget. Can anyone help me to get a budget usb hard drive which will be best for storing movies and games.

Re: Advice for a budget external hard drive to gift

The cheapest one is WD Elements 2.5 inch 500 GB. You can get that from Flipkart. The cost of this hard drive is around is Rs.3200. It is a usb 3.0 drive which comes with 3 years warranty. So that is quiet enough for day to day usage and 500GB space is big here. You can go with this. The best thing you can do is put the shipping address of your friend at the time of purchase. This will save your courier money.

I do not think today 500GB is quiet enough space. You must go for atleast 1TB storage. By adding Rs.600 more you can get Toshiba Canvio 1TB hard drive. It also comes with 3 year warranty. It is a usb 3.0 drive with few additional feature. The hard drive comes with internal Shock Sensor. This help the drive to work more faster. It also has Ramp Loading Technology and the Average Seek Time is around 12ms. It is a good product.

It is good to give a durable one. Because we usually carry this drive and they will get damage soon due to shock. I found some good models under adata. They durable drives which works really fine and give you appropriate output. Just look for a waterproof one. It will be bit costly but it will give you nice durable solution and you can also use it for longer period. Cheaper one has plastic enclosure which can damage them easily.

The best thing you can do is hard drive that has a wireless in it. Because this is more easier for anyone to transfer files from the drive to the pc. There are few portable brands in the market that comes with wifi support. Seagate Wireless plus is one of them. You can choose different hard drive size in that and you can also transfer files quiet easily through it on wifi network. Just enable the same and turn it on and it will work well.

Don't go for a budget model. It wont help you much. If you want to give gift something nice. HP P2050 looks really amazing. It is a 2.5inch drive. It looks really great. You get a 500GB storage space in this which is more than enough. The cost of this drive lies around Rs.3700. There are many portable models available. Choose on the basis of look. Many are dull and has a very basic design.

You can get some existing colors under Western Digital My Passport. This drive is also quiet popular and available on various online shop. You will get different size variation in this with good warranty also. I will recommend you to go with the same. There is a red color model that comes for Rs.3900. It is a 500GB drive. It is very light and classy in look. You can backup your data in that.

When you buy a drive it does not matter what size or what color you are buying check that it must have a usb 3.0 interface. Usually most of the hard drive today has this connection, but there are some old models which are cheaper and comes with usb 2.0. There is a huge speed difference between both the connectors. Some drive by Seagate comes with removable connectors. You can use it easily on different pc.