Thread: Using mobile internal storage as boot device

Using mobile internal storage as boot device

My hard drive is damage. It is not completely dead but it has some partitioning problem. I am unable to install windows on that. I had tried Ubuntu also. That also failed. But there is still data in it. I had used a live disc to check. Here I am in urgent need of using pc for atleast 3 days and I have no alternative. My pen drive is with my brother who will not return. I am having Lenovo A369i. It has 4GB storage where 2Gb is free. Is it possible to install windows on that.

Re: Using mobile internal storage as boot device

I am not sure. The internal storage of android phone is detected as a removable storage. You have to connect the phone and check in bios. See whether the storage is detected or not. If not then it will not work. But if it is then you can install windows or Linux on that. And use it like a temporary solution. But I am not really sure that this will work stable. Your system would crash even if you anyhow manage to install.

You have very less space. You need atleast 8GB if you are going to install Windows 7. Windows is not going to work on low space. You will also has performance issue due to low virtual memory. Better get a good usb pen drive. I am using a 32GB usb 3.0 drive for that. I am using Windows 8.1 on that. I am just testing it and it is working really well. There is no performance issue also. But the space is still limited for installing files.

The best thing you can do is use a live cd. You can download Ubuntu live disc. It is free. You just have to burn that on a dvd and boot your system with that. You can use it like a full operating system and it will really work fine.There will be no issue at all. I am using this for data backup purpose. It is also ideal to troubleshoot system if there is virus problem. So just use a live disc. That's it. This will be more helpful.

It will only work if your bios allows. You will need a 32GB memory card for that. And then you can use that to install windows. But when you remove the mobile phone your system will crash. There are chances of blue-screen also. Just connect your phone and check in bios. See that it is detected or not. Then you can try. But use a memory card do not use your internal storage. Windows setup format the storage space. This can cause a complete dead device.

I had tried that once. The issue lies with the device here. When you connect your mobile phone with your pc you have a option to enable removable storage. And when you are in bios then this option is disabled. By default your phone storage is not detected as usb or removable media. So it will not work. You have to use a pen drive anyhow to get more stable. Because that is by default detected as different storage media.

That is correct. It is not possible at all to use the mobile storage for installing a OS. Because that is not a active storage media and the removable device is triggered through android OS. So better go with a pen drive. First of all it will not be detected at all. I am using windows xp on a 4GB drive long before when my system hard drive crashed. It worked but was not really well. It is good to use a secondary hard drive.

You can try testing your hard drive. There are some bootable disc available which will help you. You can try using Hiren Boot disc. Just boot your system with that and then done. The dvd has ample of troubleshooting software that can help you to locate and deal with various problem. First backup your data before moving ahead. Because there are chances that you might face problem with drive detection later on.