Thread: Dell XPS 15 screen flicker on extreme gaming

Dell XPS 15 screen flicker on extreme gaming

Dell XPS 15 is a high end notebook. It has 2GB graphic card. I am playing a few games on a dual screen monitor. The second one is a 23inch widescreen monitor. I am playing everything at maximum resolution. My friend recently installed Crysis in my system. After playing constantly for few hours the screen starting flickering. Sometime there is a black screen but the audio worked fine in the background.

Re: Dell XPS 15 screen flicker on extreme gaming

It is bit weird to find that the laptop is not working properly on maximum resolution. You have to update the video drivers first. It has Nvidia GeForce GT 750M gpu which is good for any game. Screen flickering means unstable driver. Just go ahead and download the latest one. Install that in your system and check back. I think that will be enough to resolve this problem.

Looks like your gpu is heating up. Due to which you are facing this issue. You will have to install a temperature monitor in your system. Play games and when the screen start flickering exit and see the temperature. If it is above 70 degree then it means your gpu is heating a lot. You have to stop playing games after few hours so that your system can get cool. Do not keep on playing in this way or else you can face hardware issue.

Laptops always has issue with overheating. That is because of a very tight design. It does not has enough space inside. It is good if you keep a short time gap in between of 2hrs. Your gpu can burn if you keep on playing. You can try cleaning the ventilation part. Just use a brush and see that you can draw out dust from that or not. If it is under warranty then take to the service center for a better fix.

Heating can also cause due to poor fan rpm. You can check that in bios or through any third party software. When the cpu is heating the fan speed rises automatically. In your case that is not working due to which the system gets hotter and screen starts flickering. This is repairable under warranty. I will also recommend you to keep the laptop off after specific hours. Or you will keep on facing the problem.

I got this issue on a Dell laptop. I do not know what happen the cpu fan stopped working. The system worked nice for around 20 minutes and then it turn off on its own. I carried the same to service center. Fortunately there was a few days of warranty pending. I got it repaired. They replaced the fan and now it is working fine. There can be same issue in your case also. You have to change the fan.

Overheating is common in your case because your putting your system to extreme limit. If it is a desktop then it will be more easier to manage. We have ample of solution for keeping a desktop cool. But when it comes to a laptop then there is nothing much available. It is better to keep your system under a cool environment. This will put a bit less pressure on the internal hardware.

You are just risking your hardware by that. This are symptom a damage gpu. It starts with flickering and slowly there will be a complete dark screen. Just for cleaning the dust you can turn of your system and use a blower to blow in the ventilation part. It is good way of cleaning. There are few third party laptop cooler stands available that you can use for this purpose.