Thread: Not able to install Ubuntu on my Lenovo laptop

Not able to install Ubuntu on my Lenovo laptop

I need some help to install ubuntu on my system. I tried a number of various thing but it is not working. On the installation screen after providing login details the system restarts. But when I boot ubuntu live it works. I am able to use the desktop. I had made a 10GB partition for this operating system which is kept as reserved. But the setup is not ready to move ahead. I had installed it before and removed when I formatted my system. I use it as a backup OS.

Re: Not able to install Ubuntu on my Lenovo laptop

Change your installation disc. This disc might behaving some issue due to which you are getting the problem. Just replace the same and get a new one. You can download the latest version from web and test it out. There are many different distro available.

There can be some issue with the partition. When you install Ubuntu you will have to reformat the drive in journal or any other partition format that Ubuntu can read. The next thing you have to do is provide a swap space. This is used a temporary memory in case of physical memory is full. I will recommend you to checkout a video tutorial of entire setup before moving ahead. There can be some issue at the time of setup. Changing disc is also a proper solution. You can download a Linux live usb creator to make a bootable usb. And then use the same for installation. I use a usb always to install OS because it is faster. All you have to do is choose the bootable media from bios and then done. So download Linux live usb creator from web and then run the setup. Use a iso image file downloaded from the official website so that there will be no error at the time of setup.

It is better if you install Ubuntu inside windows. It is possible and your system will not be affected. And if you don't want you can remove it through control panel. I always install a Linux os in this way. It is ideal for testing purpose.

Before going for the setup I will recommend you to analyze your hard drive. There can be bad sectors in the system which is causing the issue. There are many options available through which you can find out the drive health. You can download and add Seagate SeaTools. This tool has two mode. One is dos mode and the other one is regular windows mode. You can run the same in windows mode to find out issue with your hard drive. It is very easy to use. It will give you the information about drive health. There can be bad sectors in the partition due to which you are not able to install Ubuntu. Try to check the drive status first. Other thing you can do is use a external usb or external hard drive for this process. You can install Ubuntu on that. This is also a bit easy process and simple to manage. You can install Ubuntu on 8Gb pen drive also.

Why don't you install it inside windows. It is easy and does not require partition resizing. You can screw up your system if you do something wrong. Backup your data before doing the same or you can face major issue.

You have to create a proper space for installing the same. I am using Ubuntu in my system. Keeping a dual boot OS is beneficial when one among them stops working.You can use the second one to carry out your day to day job. Ubuntu is fast enough to offer you good output and it also work fine. Try to create a new partition back again . If you have a separate space reserve then go in Disk Management and format it. Then insert the disc and create a new partition. Choose the reserved space and select ext or journal. You can also install the same on ntfs. Once it is done you have to offer a bit of swap space also. This swap space is necessary for the performance. If it is slow the OS will run slower and if it is high you get more better output.

Try some other OS if you are having problem with installing Ubuntu. There are many Linux distro available. Like Linux Mint or any other edition. If still it fails then your hard drive has bad sectors.