Thread: Dell 2420 hard drive constantly running

Dell 2420 hard drive constantly running

My laptop consonantly makes a buzzing sound. The sound is coming from hard drive. Even when the laptop is on sleep mode still the sound is on. It looks like something is working in the background. I have a backup tool which copies my data in a separate partition and on the cloud storage. When this tool is working the system does not goes in sleep mode. How to locate which app is causing this sound.

Re: Dell 2420 hard drive constantly running

You can find that through Task Manager. Go under Processes. It does not give you much information but it is helpful enough to find which software is actually working in the background. You can terminate it or remove it improve the system output.

Check that properly. Check where the sound is coming from. It can be cpu fan also. Or it can be the cd rom. You have to find that first. On that basis you can go ahead with measures to fix the issue. A number of time this kind of issue appear when there is lot of dust inside the system fan. You can take a soft brush and clean it. Only if you know how to open up your laptop. This also void the warranty. When the drive spins at high speed the laptop base vibrates. The same thing happen when you insert a cd. You will have to touch and check that. It looks there is some app which is causing the drive to speed at faster speed. IT can be antivirus scan also. So disable all background processes and check out.

I will recommend you to show the same to some expert. You can actually open up the system and see if there is anything inside stuck with fan causing that buzzing noise. I think after cleaning the same the problem will be resolved.

Sometime a part of the fan is broken due to which you are getting buzzing sound. You can clean the system through with a blower. You will not require to open the laptop.You just have to switch your system off and run the blower in the ventilation part. You can see there will be ample of dust pushed out from the system. This is quiet easy and simple to clean. Just get a blower and push out the dust from the system. If still the sound continue you will have to take the laptop to a repair shop. If it is under warranty then you don't have to pay much. But if it is not then you have to pay the charge. It is possible some tiny wire or something is getting stucked and causing the issue. I will recommend you to get it diagnosed. If you keep on using the same just like it then you can face more issue in future.

Ignore the same. It will get resolved on its own. It is common with desktop also. Suddenly there is a buzzing noise of something and then it goes on its own. Don't try to open up the system. You might create a new problem.

If I am not wrong the issue is with the hard drive. I got the same issue on my desktop. Whenever I open multiple web browser, the system makes a loud buzzing noise. This noise is coming from the hard drive. The drive when spin at maximum create this kind of noise. It is because there are tons of background process. At the same time the cpu also heats up. You have to switch off the system for sometime to get rid of this issue. When you turn it off the system will cool down and will not give you any issue. The best way to resolve this issue is to format your pc. It commonly occur on those system where many software's are installed. After formatting many things are removed. So just do this. Backup your data and format your system and then test back.

Buzzing noise can belong to a broken fan. You have to replace it and this would resolve the issue. In laptop it is a bit complicated to open up and check. While in pc this is very easy. Try to take to a repair center if you are not aware about the same.