Thread: Is Fingerprint USB is secure and safe to keep confidential files

Is Fingerprint USB is secure and safe to keep confidential files

I had seen some usb models in the market which has a fingerprint scanner on the same. I want a secure external storage solution where I can keep my files. There are some accounts which which are highly confidential and I cannot upload it on web. It consist of net banking password and other important details. So buying a fingerprint usb will be safe. If yes then which one should I buy.

Re: Is Fingerprint USB is secure and safe to keep confidential files

For security you can go ahead with data encryption. There are various ways of doing the same. Data encryption is a safe way to keep your file secure and you can get usb with password. This is secure. I had seen usb which comes loaded with a separate password chip in them. They can't be removed nor you can format them.

There are very few models in that and they are costly. It is not a popular thing. But very effective for those who need maximum security for their data. The usb comes with a fingerprint scanner that block access to anyone. The pen drive will only open with your fingerprint. It is ideal for corporate and government usage. Where data matters a lot. But if you need it for your office usage then you can go with password protection as mentioned above. Fingerprint are more accurate and secure compare to password but only when it is needed. For keeping your office document buying a costly usb with fingerprint scanner is not useful. You can go with password protected which is also durable and secure. I am having one from kingston. It has a password which cannot be removed on any system. It has a internal software and chip which manage everything. This type of security is more than enough for any end user and I do not really think you need anything more.

You can find something under Ironkey. This is a usb brand that provide you highly secure pen drives. They are durable and has high security features. It has some models which come with a tiny fingerprint scanner. They are quiet costly. And you will have to install a fingerprint software on your pc to unlock it.

As you read above that for using a fingerprint scanner usb you have to install a software on your pc. And then only it will be unlocked. So that means you cannot use that in any other system. The best thing you can do here is simply get a usb with powerful password protection. There are many of them available. Password protection block the pen drive and does not allow anyone to access it. I do not really think you need something with fingerprint support. You can just try out a regular password pen drive also. A good pen drive with security feature will cost you around Rs.800 to Rs.1,000. Verbatim is quiet popular in this. It offer you good set of usb which are secure and not easily crackable. This usb belongs to the encrypted usb series. Which is durable and trusted. It operate on a password which run from the pen drive itself. When you insert it in the pc it will ask you to run a password. It cannot be formatted nor it is possible to remove the internal security software.

You can find some budget pen drives with fingerprint scanner on ebay. But if you go with brand then it is quiet costly. It is highly efficient to keep your documents and it will not be accessible to anyone. I will recommend you to go with a good brand.

Ironkey is the only brand I can see that offer a good usb with fingerprint protection. IRONKEY F200 belongs to the series. This is a highly durable pen drive with fingerprint authentication method. It has powerful in encryption. The usb has hardware level protection. So even if someone tries to access it, it is not possible. To use it you just have to insert the pen drive and swipe your fingerprint on it. It will open up the folders. It worked with a single authorized finger only. It is highly secure and ideally recommended for those who need complete data protection. The usb offer military grade encryption. It does not rely on any third party software. It has a specific chip inside which manage the security stuff. Also the pen drive is highly durable. The body is made up of magnesium alloy which is strong and reliable. The pen drive is waterproof and dust proof. I will recommend you to check this once.

I have a usb that has a password protection and I am using this from long time. The drive works well on many system. After inserting it, I can see a password menu on the screen through which I can access the internal files.