Thread: New Dell Vostro 2420 laptops turns off instantly

New Dell Vostro 2420 laptops turns off instantly

I am unable to locate issue with my Dell Vostro 2420 laptop. It looks to be working fine, but sometime it shutdown on its own. I had checked the cpu temperature also. It is not heating up. When I search on the web for the problem the first solution I found is to checkout the cpu temperature. Because a pc automatically shutdown only when th cpu heats up. I checked the temperature in bios and via a temperature monitoring utility. The cpu is working proper. What can be other problems.

Re: New Dell Vostro 2420 laptops turns off instantly

The problem can be with the ram or any other internal component. You can scan the memory with the help of a software called as Memtest. This tool is amazing. It scan your system ram for error and help you to get rid of the problem which you are facing.

It can be due to power management settings. This settings can cause the shutdown issue. Go in Control Panel and in that click on Power Option. Ensure that the system is configured to work on maximum performance. Try to disable sleep and other stuff for sometime. Shutdown issue is associated with two things. First is overheating. When a cpu crosses a temperature it shutdown itself to prevent any damage. Second can be with the battery. Try to connect AC adapter and use your system. Use it for hours and see whether it is turning off or not. If not then your battery is not proper. If the system is under warranty then you can contact the service center and ask for replacement. If not then you have to buy that battery. I do not think that is much costly. It is necessary that you must move ahead with proper power options. It is a common habit of many people. They leave the laptop connected to power source. It is connected 24x7 which cause problem with the battery and result in early failure. Most of the batteries work fine for years. They just keep on loosing the maximum recharging power.

Taking the laptop to service center would be one of the best solution. Because it looks like some kind of hardware issue. Don't buy a battery or new ac adapter without showing it to any good repair center. If that does not resolve the problem your money is wasted.

It is a battery issue. I am sure about that. My uncles laptop was having the same issue. It was actually a netbook. Now in between while working the laptop turns offs instantly. He showed me the same. I cleaned the heatsink first. I thought due to dust the cpu was heating and causing the failure. I cleaned everything, re-inserted the fan and done. The laptop started working for sometime. But again after few days the same problem appeared. He brought it back. We carried the same to a nearest service center. We found that the battery is damage. It was not working fine. As the laptop was under warranty we do not require to pay anything and it worked well. There is on issue at all. So in your case if you know how to open your laptop then only move ahead to clean it. Or else just avoid doing it. Ask any expert for help. He might locate some problem and fix it. Mostly it looks like a hardware fault to me. Because shutdown is not associated with any software related issue. If you are getting any error or bluescreen kind of stuff then only you have to worry about the same.