Thread: Surface Pro won't boot after update

Surface Pro won't boot after update

Hey guys, i need an urgent help from you all. I am having a Surface Pro tablet since a month now. Today morning i finally got time to update it for the first time. I ran the windows update, it found a huge list, i allowed them all to install. After installation when the tablet rebooted itself, first it took a huge time to get the booting display. After this it came up with the updating screen saying me "please wait while we install a system update".

Guess what, it is still stuck right there itself. So far it is now over 4 hours, i dont know what is it installing. As this is my first ever windows 8 based device, i dont have much idea about it and hence i didn't tried anything. Wanted to what can i do to fix this?

Re: Surface Pro won't boot after update

Hey friend, did you managed to boot your tablet fine? Or is it still stuck right there? If you are still looking for help, then here it is. As the Surface is locked with the boot screen, probably something has gone wrong during the update and not allowing to boot it properly. In order to fix it you will need to reset the tablet to factory settings.

Now the question is how can you restore it if it is stuck at loop. Well it is bit tricky. You will need to press and hold the Powerkey for about 30 seconds or until the Tablet restarts again. You may need to do this 4 to 6 times until the tablet realizes that something has went. By doing so on next boot, surface will automatically offer you option to Restore the Device to Factory settings.

Just restore it and the problem will be fixed. Later you can try out installing the updates again if you want or check for the updates after a week with new patches.

Wow, that’s really tricky. New user will never come to know this way of bringing up the reset menu.

Isn’t there any other way of restoring the device to factory settings like we do in Android tablets using few key combinations like power + Volume keys, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by rajmalhotra View Post
    You will need to press and hold the Powerkey for about 30 seconds or until the Tablet restarts again. You may need to do this 4 to 6 times until the tablet realizes that something has went. By doing so on next boot, surface will automatically offer you option to Restore the Device to Factory settings.
    Thank you very much for useful piece of information, I really appreciate your help rajmalhotra. I was ready to ship it for repairing but just thought to give a last try using your way and that really worked.