Thread: How to use Lumia Phone as Modem for sharing Internet on computer

How to use Lumia Phone as Modem for sharing Internet on computer

I recently bought a Lumia 620. This is the first ever Windows Phone i 'm using. Earlier i use to connect internet on my desktop using Nokia N8 with the help of PC Suite. But seems like Lumia doesn't works in the same way. I tried connecting it with Nokia PC Suite as well as Zune, but i didn't found any option using 620 as modem. The only option is to share by making the phone as WiFi hotspot but my desktop doesn't have WiFi adaptor. I think with Android we can share via WiFI as well as using USB tethering.

Is it possible to share internet via USB or PC Suite with Lumia phones? If yes, please let me know how. Thank you.

Re: How to use Lumia Phone as Modem for sharing Internet on computer

Yes, Lumia doesn't works in the same way because it doesn't have the same operating system as earlier Nokia (Symbian) phones and obviously not the same PC Suite. With Lumia phones, you will need to use Zune PC Suite. But, as far as connecting the phone as modem like we used to do earlier wont work either with Lumia devices. The only way to share Internet from Mobile to your computer is by WiFi hotspot. Lumia has ability to create hotspot which you can use on your computer as a wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahajabeen View Post
    But, as far as connecting the phone as modem like we used to do earlier wont work either with Lumia devices. The only way to share Internet from Mobile to your computer is by WiFi hotspot.
    One more thing to add here, for doing this your computer should have WiFi adapter attached in the system. In case you have laptop, they used to have this built-in, so no problem. Once WiFi Hotspot created you can use the same on any devices having WiFi capabilities.

This is really disappointing. What if I don’t have the WiFi facility in my desktop? Infact I don’t have it. So you mean to say I cannot use the Mobile 3G on my PC for browsing? Damn, I guess then I need to quit Lumia and switch to some other platform.

Symbian phones allow us to do this, even Android phones allow us to do this, then why not Lumia when you spend Rs. 35000 on a device like Lumia 920 

That is how it has been programmed buddy, we cannot do anything in that. Lets hope if Microsoft or Nokia can add this function in their future update OR it is surely a huge drawback of Windows Phone 8 OS.