Thread: Help to upgrade wifi of old Dell laptop

Help to upgrade wifi of old Dell laptop

I need some help to upgrade wifi of my old laptop. It is some Dell Inspiron series. It a 2 year old system. There is a bit problem with the wifi here. It is breaking in between and sometime it takes really long time to turn on. I think the card had some issue inside it. I saw a video on Youtube which shows that we can replace or upgrade the card to a much newer one. This will also increase the wifi speed.

Re: Help to upgrade wifi of old Dell laptop

You are right on that. But it is better you get that done through service center. Because there you will get the right card model at a reasonable rate. If you are not really aware how to open your laptop and add a hardware better ignore doing it yourself.

Most of the laptop comes with a common wifi specs. They work on PCI-E Internal wifi card which is small in size. Ample of models have a separate opening for the same. On the backside of your laptop you can see certain panels. This panel are covered. Some of them are separate based on the size. The hard drive, ram and wifi card usually lies below them. So that it is easy to upgrade. You just have to open one of them which is the smallest one. The card is a small in size connected to the pci slot. Changing or upgrading that is simple. But can be risky if you did not opened it properly. So better take help. You can order a new card from ebay. Just search for mini pci wifi laptop card. The cost is reasonable. They are not costly. You can easily get a new one below $10. It is better to first collect information on the type of card you are having. Which you can find by opening the system. The card has model info on it. You can post it here and I can help you to locate the exact model. While you can get a much better one online which boost your wifi performance.

I think it is better to stick with a router. That is more reasonable investment. While in a laptop you already have a lan port. There are some cheap usb wifi solution available which you can also use.

It is not complicated. There is nothing to worry. Wifi cards are easy to find and you can go ahead with upgrades. All you require to do is find the right card based on your system model. You can find that in BIOS or you can also locate that in the laptop specification. The next thing you have to do is check the size. Now there are different size available. There is a full size and small size card available. You can find that by opening the system. The card is connected with two wires which are the wifi antenna. You will require to remove them gently without breaking it. They are just hooked with a screw. You can remove them easily. Then you can buy the same kind of card and add it. It is better to carry the old card with you to any computer shop and ask for the same kind of replacement. Checkout some videos on youtube before going for this.