Thread: Windows XP wont recognizes HTC 8s

Windows XP wont recognizes HTC 8s

I need a bit urgent help from you all. I have a HTC 8S since a past 10 days. So far i was connecting it with my laptop running on Windows 7 without any problem for transferring files and all. Now as i have sent back my laptop to service center due to some problems, i am trying to connect the phone with my home desktop which is running on Windows XP SP2. Due to some unknown reasons, it just wont recognizes the phone.

I tried connecting in all ports but no response, however my other usb devices are working fine with the same computer. Any idea what is the issue? Please provide me a working solution soon as i am not able to sync media or transfer new files to the phone.

Re: Windows XP wont recognizes HTC 8s

This is a compatibility problem or Microsoft strategy, you or i cannot do anything in this. As you know MS is about to pull off the services from XP, they have designed Windows Phone 8 in a way that it requires Windows 7 or Windows 8 to work properly. Not sure about Vista but definitely it wont work with Windows XP. However if you want, you can remove your SD Card from the phone, put it in Card reader and connect/transfer media from computer. It will work good.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion lella View Post
    As you know MS is about to pull off the services from XP, they have designed Windows Phone 8 in a way that it requires Windows 7 or Windows 8 to work properly.
    You are correct to some extent Orion but thats not complete true. Windows Phones are also supported on Windows XP but for the same you must have atleast Service Pack 3 running on your PC. And by the way, there is no problem with your ports and all. Update your system to atleast SP3.

Oopps, that means I need to spend now to make the phone work with my computer? How much does SP3 costs and from where can I buy it?

Dude, Service Pack 3 is available for download without any cost from Microsoft Download Center. Yeah, that’s correct. It is free of cost unless and until you are using Genuine Copy of Windows XP. Just download the same and update windows. You don’t even need to format your system.

By the way, you should now plan atleast upgrading to Windows 7. Windows XP with SP2 sounds out dated for most of the newest applications and hardware.