Thread: Portable power meter for laptop

Portable power meter for laptop

My Dell laptop is draining out really fast even when full charged. Before I use to get atleast 5 to 8 hours of battery output but now the battery drain out too early. I am unable to find any solution for the same. First I thought the issue is with the battery but that looks to be working fine. I use a number of different devices on my laptop. I am looking for a portable power meter that can give me exact ratings of power consumed.

Re: Portable power meter for laptop

I am not sure about a hardware device, but there are ample of applications available for that. There are nice battery management application available which can give you more detail information about battery usage and its output.

There are some devices available. The usb power meter here tells you about the power consumption. The one which I saw comes with two usb ports. One lies on the front side and other on the back. You have to connect it between your pc and the other device. And it gives you power consumption. It is really easy to use and tells you instantly about power consumption. So that you can stop using that device. Now ample of time we use a keyboard/mouse, printer, usb hub, etc on the laptop. Due to which the battery drains out really fast. It is essential that you must disconnect them for sometime. Especially usb hub. I got the issue on my old network on which I had connected a 4 port usb hub. There were different devices connected on the same. Later on bought a 10 port usb hub with separate power adapter. Which worked really fine. It can simply allow me to use different devices and does not put any impact on the netbook battery. It has a separate adapter. So if you are having a hub then replace it and buy one which has separate power adapter. This will also boost the usb performance.

Windows offers you power management utility through which you can manage the power consumption of the laptop. You can simply keep that are a recommended level so that the laptop can preserve more battery.

It is not easy to find the power usage of attached device with a external device. There is one tool available. It is called as Centech USB Power Meter. It is a small usb type power meter that can help you to find out the power usage of a device. So that you can locate due to which device your battery is draining out. It is also essential that you must download and install a third party battery management software through which you can control the battery usage. Ample of time the laptop simply allows different devices to draw more and more power. If you have a balance battery plan then the operating system will restrict different devices. That would add more to the battery output. This is the only effective way available I think that can help you to deal with battery outage in different systems. On ebay you can find some tools. But they are bit advance. Compare to them Centech USB Power meter is simply easy to use.