Thread: Some tips on protecting camera from rain

Some tips on protecting camera from rain

I made this thread to share certain tips to protect your camera from water. I usually travel a lot and all the time my DSLR is with me. I am having a pair of 4 lenses for different set of shots. In monsoon it is really risky to carry the camera because there is great danger of getting it affected by water. In my case I carry zip lock which are waterproof. And I usually find a proper place which is shaded to capture photos. What you people do in such case.

Re: Some tips on protecting camera from rain

The best thing you can do is use dry bags. They are specifically designed for camera. They have a complete body shape of camera that allows you to use them in water also. Even underwater. All you have to take care is zip them properly.

I think waterproof casing is the only solution to protect a camera from water. But they are costly. I had seen ample great cases on Ebay. If you buy a good one then you do not require to get worried about water. Depending on your camera model you can choose the right case that offer you overall protection from getting wet. Now there are different type of casing available. Most of them are like bags. You just need to hook the camera inside and you can carry it on your need. While some are specialized cases in which you can fix the camera and it remain sticked to it. They are more helpful over bag type case. Because in it still there are chances of getting wet. I had also seen some exclusive covers that comes for $50 or higher. This are completely air locked not allowing anything to enter in the camera. For electronic devices water is great risk. With the case you can also add De-Humidifiers. You can add a set of different packets so that even if tiny amount liquid enters the camera case it can get dried up instantly.

After adding a waterproof casing on the camera, it becomes very bulky and uncomfortable to handle. Due to which it is better to stay somewhere safe place which has ample of cover. I had used some cases they are really uncomfortable.

Most of the bags and cases that come for a digital camera are like pouch type. You will need to zip the camera inside and then you can protect it from dust and water. While some high end cameras comes with durable design. I carry a camera bag. It is solid and durable. But the camera remains safe only when it is inside. It is like a small briefcase that I bought the camera in a discounted offer. I am willing to buy a zipper type bag, but I am not able to find the one which fits my model. While the officially the manufacturer's does not really look serious about providing a durable case for their dslr camera. Some case which comes with powerful plastic casing are tough and can make the camera more bulky to carry. That is also uncomfortable while taking photos. They suit well when you are using tripod more.