Thread: How to transfer WhatsApp messages to a new mobile

How to transfer WhatsApp messages to a new mobile

I want some help to transfer all my WhatsApp chat messages to a new phone. I am having a Nokia E71 mobile phone and I bought LAVA Iris 501. I installed WhatsApp on it.Now all my messages, groups, etc are in the old phone. I am not really aware how can I move the same to new device. Is there any application available for the same. Or I can save that on pc and then copy to my android phone.

Re: How to transfer WhatsApp messages to a new mobile

It is possible to save them on pc, but you cannot import them back in your new android phone. There is a tool called as WhatsApp Xtract that you can find on web for free. Just download this, connect your phone and run the application to backup all messages on pc.

It is easy. That can be done via WhatsApp only. There is no need to search for any third party application. For that first you will need to insert your sim card back in the old phone. Then you have to go in the settings. There you can find backup chat history. Tap on it. Via mobile internet all chat history, conversation, etc will be uploaded on WhatsApp server. Then you have to insert the sim back in new mobile phone and launch WhatsApp. It will ask you to restore your chat history. Just give yes and done. All messages will be added back again in your new phone. It is essential that you keep on taking regular backup so that you can restore that in any new mobile. This really a cool feature where you get everything. Somehow there must be backup and restore option available via pc. I am trying ot find a more user friendly app that can help me to restore everything. I am using more than one chat messenger. I am also having Viber and Nimbus. A call recording application records everything in the background. Whenever my phone freeze I simply reset it to factory settings. Due to which everything is wiped out. I think through a ready to use utility it will be more easier to restore everything.

There are some backup apps available on Google play. But I do not really think they work on WhatsApp or any other similar chat messenger. You can try some apps. There are apps which can backup your complete rom and restore it.

All message and conversion of WhatsApp is stored inside "wa" folder in the mobile device. And it is stored in the format of MsgStore.bak. So if you have this file then restoring is very easy. You just need to move the file in the same folder on a new phone. When first time you will launch WhatsApp you will get prompt on the screen to restore messages. That' all. So this is really effective. You can keep a copy of MsgStore.bak file in your memory card. Usually the tool keeps last 7 days backup file which is configured automatically. On Google Play there are some third party applications which can help you to backup the file if you are not able to locate it.One is Backup Text for WhatsApp. This application export all your whatsapp conversation into plain text. You can also get csv file through it. It is good to keep a record save in your system. While WhatsBack Free:WhatsApp Backup is another utility that saves all the files in the SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieJ View Post
    It is possible to save them on pc, but you cannot import them back in your new android phone. There is a tool called as WhatsApp Xtract that you can find on web for free. Just download this, connect your phone and run the application to backup all messages on pc.
    Great tool. Thanks for the help.