Thread: How to use Lumia 620 as modem on PC to access internet

How to use Lumia 620 as modem on PC to access internet

I want some help to use my mobile phone as a modem on my pc. I am having a Windows 8 laptop. I am having Lumia 620 smartphone which comes with Windows Phone 8. I had activated 3G on my device with unlimited pack. Now I need some help to use it on my pc. I am not able to find any option inside the phone settings through which I can directly use its internet on the pc. The same for Android is extremely easy. It comes with a usb tethering option through which we can instantly use mobile internet on the phone. But on Windows phone there is no options available.

Re: How to use Lumia 620 as modem on PC to access internet

Go in your phone settings and look for mobile hotspot. If there is a portable hotspot settings available then you can simply use that to share internet on your laptop. Just turn your laptop on and then simply connect it to the phone and use its internet. That would be more simpler.

You can do that with the help of Nokia pc suite. I had done this long before on Nokia E series devices. For that you will need to first download the pc suite software which consist of Nokia USB modem drivers. First install the pc suite on the pc and then simply connect the phone with your pc with usb drive. Then go in device manager and under network and mode checkout for nokia usb modem. You can download the drivers separately also from the web. Then launch the pc suite and click on one touch access. There is a setting icon below. Click on that and in the screen from drop down select Nokia USB modem. Tick on manual configuration. So that you can add settings buy your own hand. In the access point you will need to type the service providers details. You can collect the information from customer care. Like for airtel you have to type aircelgprs.com.If the settings is proper then the connection will be established and the phone will connected to your system as usb modem. You will not get great speed but sitll you can simply get a reasonable internet speed. 3G works a bit more faster compare to 2G.

There is a internet sharing option available in the phone settings. I am also having a Windows phone and I share my internet in the same way. I am having a 2G data pack that I am using and I share the internet on my tablet. That works fine. But the speed is slow.

That is very complicated. I am trying to do that in my E-series mobile phone. Nokia USB mode is detected in Device Manager but it looks there is some issue with the access point. I had contacted the customer care a number of time but they do not looks to be interested in giving a reasonable answer. Windows phone does not has any kind of utility that can allow to share internet connectivity through usb port. But via internet sharing that works really well and has no issue. I am sharing the internet via hotspot only. But I found the internet output extremely poor. While compare to android I had seen my friends are using third party utilities to use the same internet on their pc and also gain a good speed. Not really great but reasonable enough to surf web pages. It is far more better to stick to a broadband connection through router or modem. That looks more effective in terms of usage. The pc suite trick works really well in old devices which were usually loaded with symbian OS. The Windows Phone line series makes stuff more complicated.