Thread: Install skype in Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S

Install skype in Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 as well as an Xperia Arc S. Recently my Skype app got auto updated to version 4.0 on GS3 and i loved the new interface and its features. Now as i have two skype accounts i every time need to login and logout from the same phone. Hence i wanted to know if is it possible to install the Skype on my Xperia Arc S as well? I doubt because it doesn't have the front camera. Can skype use the rear camera for making video calls and conferencing? If not, can it atleast make voice calls?

Re: Install skype in Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S

Every Android where you can install Skype will surely support the Audio call functionality but as there is no Front facing camera, i am not sure whether you will be able to make the video calls or not.

By the way, how much time does it takes to install and uninstall a small Android application? Instead of waiting and asking for clarification, you can simply download, install and test the app on your phone. If it works, good. And if not, simply uninstall it.

Quote Originally Posted by iCloud View Post
    i wanted to know if is it possible to install the Skype on my Xperia Arc S as well? I doubt because it doesn't have the front camera. Can skype use the rear camera for making video calls and conferencing? If not, can it atleast make voice calls?
    Yes, that’s what I also wanted to ask. Why don’t you simply download and test the app whether it works or not. I don’t think it is going to take more than 10 minutes to test and uninstall if it doesn’t works. Anyways, as far as I know all Android device running on Gingerbread or above supports video calling, no matter you have the front camera or not. It will utilize the rear camera for the same.

I don’t think Xperia Arc S with default Android 2.2 OS will able to make video calls as I had the same problem. After a long time when it received Android 4.0 update, then I was able to make video calls. So I will suggest you to first install the latest firmware (if you haven’t done yet) and run skype. You can make video calls, video conferencing and of course Voice calling.

Thank you all for your few bitter and few sweet supports. Yes my Xperia Arc S is already running on ICS and as per your suggestions I already installed Skype and tested. I can make video and Voice calls but there is small trick. The latest version (Skype 4) is not working properly. So if anyone else using Arc S and wants to use Skype, install the older version. It works great