Thread: Mass storage mode in Nokia lumia 510 for PC connection

Mass storage mode in Nokia lumia 510 for PC connection

I was using Samsung galaxy y and yesterday I bought Nokia lumia 510. This is my first windows phone, so I don’t have much idea about it. I know that for transferring music and stuffs in my phone I will have to install Zune software. However, I want to know if there is a mass storage mode option as well??? I mean my galaxy y was having both pc suite mode and mass storage mode option. I have gone through the whole settings of Nokia lumia 510 but I am not able to see mass storage mode options anywhere. So I just wanted to conform if it has it or not??

Re: Mass storage mode in Nokia lumia 510 for PC connection

As far as I am windows phone doesn’t have mass storage mode option. For transferring any stuff like music pictures, videos and for backing up contacts and all, you will have to install zune software in your system. Just make sure that you are installing zune from its official site.

Thanks for the information. Actually my other problem is that my system runs windows xp where as zune supports below operating systems only.
    Windows XP SP3
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    My brother has installed windows 8 in his laptop recently but I doubt if zune will work there as well.

You don’t have to use zune in windows 8. It has been replaced by "Windows Phone" app which is available for Windows 8 and Windows RT on the Windows Store. It’s available for free, so you don’t have to worry about anything. It has a very good UI, just check out its snapshot below.

Yes Nokia lumia 510 doesn’t have USB mass storage mode but then there is a trick for enabling it. You will have to make some changes in your computer’s registry. So in case you are comfortable with the same then you can follow below steps:
    Note - Back up your registry before proceeding with below steps:

• Go to start, click on run, type “regedit ” without quotes and hit enter
    • Now click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in left pane and check out for a folder tree called SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Enum and then USB
    • Your path should be this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Enum > USB >VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00 > Device Parameters
    • Under Device Parameters simply check the values of below registry and change them accordingly.
    • ShowInShell - From 0 to 1
    • PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell – From 1 to 0
    • EnableLegacySupport - From 0 to 1
    • Once you are done with all these changes you can close your registry editor and plug in your Lumia device.

Your Lumia device should not get recognized in USB mass storage mode giving access to your files and folders.

Seems quite complex, I don’t want to try out these hacks. I will install the "Windows Phone" app from Windows Store and will use the same.