Thread: Windows Surface tablet with Windows RT keeps muting

Windows Surface tablet with Windows RT keeps muting

There is something wrong with my newly bought Windows Surface tablet running Windows RT. For some reason it keeps muting itself, this problem occur randomly and is every irritating, I am not able to make out what cause it to mute. Mostly it mutes itself when I play any music and browse the internet at the same time. Has anyone else faced the same issue or its specific in my case???

Re: Windows Surface tablet with Windows RT keeps muting

Same here, even I haven’t tracked down the actual cause of this issue. I have tried rebooting it quite a few times but that’s not making any difference in my case. Seems like a software glitch to me but I am not sure about the same. I have contacted Microsoft and I am waiting for their reply. Until then you get an update on this matter then please inform me as well.

I want to know if your Surface tablet reacts like that when your touch cover is connected or disconnected. I have come across many people facing the same issue with touch cover connected. One of the Microsoft officials has responded that they have received many complaints regarding the same issue and they are investigating on it.
    So in that case you can contact Surface Technical Support for exchanging the Touch / Type Cover. If that’s not the case then you can try performing hard reset and cross check if that makes any difference.

No it does the same thing no matter if it is connected to the Touch / Type Cover or not. On the other hand I have made sure that I not pressing the volume key accidentally and all. There’s something else that is causing this weird issue in my case. Can you just let me know the steps required for doing a hard reset?? I had misplaced the manual in excitement after unboxing the Surface tablet.

You can refer to below steps for performing hard reset on your Surface tablet.
    First hover over the bottom right hand corner of the screen and open the Charms menu
    Once you get the Charms menu, tap on settings, tap on More PC Settings and In PC setting simply tap on General
    Now tap on “Get start” button under “Refresh without affecting your files” or “Reset and start over”

If you don’t see any improvement after performing hard reset then I’ll suggest you to get your Surface tablet checked from the nearest service centre.

Not sure but I have come across one who was facing same issue and he has mentioned that uninstalling the sensor software had helped him out. If you don’t mind uninstalling the sensor software then you can go in to control panel/system/device manger and uninstall it form there.