Thread: Asus Zenbook UX31A keyboard key stop working frequently

Asus Zenbook UX31A keyboard key stop working frequently

I am using Asus Zenbook UX31A form 8 months and I never had any issue with it. Since some days its keyboard is behaving weirdly. I have noticed that while typing some of the keys like backspace, arrow keys and some letters doesn’t work. However, they work fine after some seconds. It seems as if they stop working for few seconds. Can there be an issue with its keyboard???

Re: Asus Zenbook UX31A keyboard key stop working frequently

If this issue is with some specific keys than I guess there might be dirt underneath those keys. I don’t have Asus Zenbook UX31A but I have checked out some pictures of the keyboard and it seems as there is some gap between the key and the dock. I mean Asus Zenbook UX31A keyboard is not completely intact. So just check if there is any dirt, if yes than try cleaning them and see if they start working fine after that.

I don’t think there is any dirt underneath. There is something else wrong with the keyboard. May be the hinge or maybe not, those keys haven’t stopped working. Like I said they stop working for few seconds, since I type quite fast it is quite easy for me to make out. I never had any such issue with the same laptop by now. This issue came up all of a sudden, let me know if there is anything else that I can check out, else I’ll get it checked this weekend.

It doesn’t seems to be a driver issue but then you can surely try out the below steps for elimination the possible cause of this issue.

Go in to device manager, check out for the keyboard in the list, right click on it and select “Update driver”. You will have to go through a simple wizard for updating the driver.Once it gets updated, you can restart your laptop and cross check if your keyboard is working fine

If updating the driver doesn’t makes any difference than you can try uninstalling and reinstalling latest driver for it. In case you don’t see any improvement than I will suggest you to get your laptop checked. There might be some problem with those keys hinge and might need repairing.

I was sure that this issue is not because of any software of driver. After your suggestion I have tried both updating and reinstalling keyboard driver but I don’t see any improvement. I don’t doubt the hinge of those keys as I don’t feel any difference while tapping them compared to other working keys. If there would have been something wrong with the keys than I would have felt weird while tapping them. I don’t have much idea about these stuffs. I have addressed this issue to some of my friends and they said that there might be something wrong with below marked things. I don’t know what are they called.

One of my friends has sent me this pic while guessing the cause of this issue in my case.

It might be possible, since uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard driver has not made any difference in your case. I don’t think there might be any workaround that you might be able to try out from your side. You will surely need to get your laptop checked no matter what might be the cause of this issue.