Thread: Motorola Photon Q Relocking

Motorola Photon Q Relocking

I purchased a Motorola Photon Q and the first thing I was excited about was the unlocked bootloader. I deleted the unwanted apps and freed the memory for other use. I fear that if I keep the bootloader open, maybe someone might delete some system file by mistake. I don’t want m Motorola Photon Q to be bricked. Can someone tell me how to relock the unlocked bootloader?

Re: Motorola Photon Q Relocking

You can try using fastboot oem lock. This application will lock the bootloader of your phone and also avoid any overwriting of system files even if attempted to. This is actually kind of security application that will protect the firmware and default recovery data in your phone. But after relocking the Motorola Photon Q, you will not be able to download any third party app in it. You will need to download only those apps which are certified by Google or by the firmware of your phone.

Let me tell you that once you relock the bootloader of the Motorola Photon Q, unlocking it net time will be difficult. If you attempt to unlock the bootloader, you will have to erase all the data in your Motorola Photon Q completely. But at least you will be assured that the phone won’t be getting into any problem by deletion of system files. Actually when you use the fastboot oem lock to lock the bootloader, the existing bootloader gets over-written and a new one is installed. So if you want to unlock the bootloader, then you will need to take it to the service centre of Motorola itself.

I suggest you to avoid relocking the bootloader of the Motorola Photon Q. I mean you have got an unlocked bootloader in your smartphone and you want to lock it again. People who have other smartphones risk their phones to get it unlocked. I’d say that you are getting an administrator’s access to the systems of this phone. You can access any system file and decide to keep it or not. I think that you are not aware of importance of unlocked bootloader. Also not many people have tried locking the bootloader of Motorola Photon Q, so I can’t say about the success ratio.