Thread: Want to unlock Motorola Photon Q

Want to unlock Motorola Photon Q

I am having Motorola Photon Q and I am willing to unlock the same now, I have been looking after a workaround for unlocking it but I haven’t got hold of it so is there anyone who is aware of the steps required for carrying out that task? Help regarding this will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: Want to unlock Motorola Photon Q

In that case I will like to inform you that Motorola has released a tool for unlocking bootloader of the Photon Q. If you want then you can try out below steps for carrying out the task.
    • Go to this site, click on Proceed, register an account, download Android SDK and set it up.
    • Now download and install latest Motorola drivers for your computer.
    • When you are ready with these things, connect your Photon Q, let it install its drivers, once its driver gets installed open SDK/Platform-tools folder.
    • You need to have fastboot.exe, generally it will be in Platform-tools folder, after conforming it’s there open command prompt from within your SDK/Platform-tools folder and type “adb reboot bootloader” without quotes and hit enter.
    • Once your phone gets rebooted in bootloader then type “fastboot oem get_unlock_data” without the quotes and hit enter.
    • If everything goes fine then you will see device ID in command prompt s which you have to enter at Motorola’s site.
    • You will have to piece together all 4 lines and enter it in “Verify device…” box at Motorola bootloader site. After pasting the lines you will get a “Request Unlock Key” button, simply click on it and your unlock key will be emailed to you in your registered account.
    • After opening email and making a note of unlock key, let your phone being connected at fastboot and type “fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY” without quotes and hit enter. Here UNIQUE_KEY should be replaced by the key you might have received.
    • At the end you will see a message saying “Unlocked” on screen and a warning saying “Your bootloader has been unlocked……….. Applicable legal agreement”

I thought that it would be a complex task but it is appearing simple from what you have explained, I just wanted to know what you mean by “You will have to piece together all 4 lines and enter it in “Verify device…” box ? I mean will I have to join those 4 lines all together or I will have to enter them separately?

You will see something like this in command prompt:

In your case xxxxxxxx will be your code that you have to join altogether and enter in the “Verify device…” box, you don’t have to include INFO word, hope you got my point now. Just try it out and feel free to ask any query if you have further.

I just wanted to add that unlocking bootloader of the Photon Q will void its warranty, some time people are not aware of the same and regret later. So if you don’t mind losing warranty then you can very well try out the above steps, you can also flash an AOSP ROM after unlcoking your bootloader.