Thread: Is it possible to install Android 4.0 ICS on Samsung Galaxy S3 by rooting

Is it possible to install Android 4.0 ICS on Samsung Galaxy S3 by rooting

My friends own a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone. After S3 is out, he wants to buy this but before he is selling me this device. I want to buy, but I am mostly looking for a ICS device. I want to know that is it possible to root Galaxy S2 and install ICS on it. It has Gingerbread OS.

Re: Is it possible to install Android 4.0 ICS on Samsung Galaxy S3 by rooting

I will not recommend you to root. First the phone will loose warranty, second there is no official Android release provided. If you try to do that you might end up with a buggy phone. It is recommended that you must stick with the existing one which is better. There are custom roms on web but there is no guarantee that your phone will perform well.

Rooting simply make major changes to your phone ROM. It will wipe your factory operating system and settings. And above that you can use the modified ROM which is uploaded by others. It is not sure that this will work perfectly. The phone is not optimized to run ICS. I have same device. I was also willing to root it and install ICS on that. But later on I found that the custom ROM I had downloaded was buggy. After reading user comments from download site, I found that this will brick your phone completely.

On some models this works, while on some it does not. Also there are chances that some keys will not respond properly and you will also face issue with reception quality. There is not yet a stable rom released. If this phone has upgrade option then we would have receive ICS officially from Samsung. It is better you must re-sale that phone under a prescribed price and get a new one. You can try the Buy and Sell section of this website. There are number of people who will be willing to buy your device.

Do not root that. Gingerbread is fine and device like Samsung Galaxy S2 will not work properly. The OS used in Galaxy S2 is optimized for the phone. There are major changes and bug fixes. You cannot just overwrite that and expect the phone will work nicely.

Rooting is a long process. Go on web and look for Galaxy S2 rooting guide. Everywhere you will find a warning saying that the phone can face serious issue if not rooted properly. Somehow they are able to do that successfully by using CF-Root. This tool can be used to overwrite the phone OS through a customize ICS Firmware. Ths is popularly called as ICS XWLPG Firmware. I had found this on many forums and website. They think this might work. Rooting has to be done by user itself even if he is not technically sound.

Under such circumstances you can screw the phone more easily. I do not know the restoration process. I will recommend you to download a restoration guide first. Backup the phone existing ROM with all settings. In case of any issue you can try a third party tool to restore everything back again. Usually I trust on the official sources only. I had posted on Samsung forums about ICS upgrade and rooting. They had guided not to do that.

It is right that rooting is risky but there are chances of working also. With Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich XWLPG firmware support you can use Android on GT-I9100 models only. There is quiet a nice guide on web that offer you simple solution to run the setup.

For each kind of device you need the prescribed rom. Like some Samsung Galaxy S2 are solder under AT&T contract. There are some different variants of this same series which are sold world wide. So to run ICS on that you need to find the specific rom. You cannot just put anything on it. Even if you are ready to risk your phone then there is one thing that I will advice you to do before rooting. Take a ROM backup. You can then restore it, in case of issue. Visit various android community to find out what will be the issue after overclocking. There are users who had done this already.

My friend rooted his phone to get rom access. He had used ClockworkMod to unlock the phone. The benefit of unlocking is that you get a backup and restore through boot menu. Hold the power, volume up and center key. At the boot you can see backup. You can tap and create a backup that can be restore in case of any major issue. First all you must try custom rom on your own risk only.

There is a working from on web for GT-I9100. You can find this model by rebooting your phone. It is listed on the boot menu. If you have this device then you try a custom firmware. Ensure that your rooting process must not stop in between.

Yes there is a working ICS rom for it. First connect your phone to the PC and put the phone on debugging mode. For that you have to go on Settings > Application > Development. At this point it is recommended that your phone must not be disconnected under any condition. Nextwhat you have to dis download Odin3 1.85 on your pc. Also the root file whic is CF Root of Android ICS whic his around 6MB something. Look for CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_LP7-v5.4-CWM5.zip on web. And the next important thing is the right firmware or else your phone will not read the sim connection.

You have to locate the right firmware based on your area. Just extract all the files in separate folders. Run Odin and then put your phone on download mode. That is the boot screen mode by holding Power, Volume up and home key. Odin will find the phone. Now you have to load the rooting file through PDA. Do that and rooting will start. If anything happens, the rooting fails disconnect the phone for sometime and do all the process back again.

I tried to locate the right firmware, but did not found the download. While I had the rooted ROM file. I cannot go further. It is recommended that you must first locate the right firmware file or else there will be major issue with the phone.