Thread: SMS and MMS problems on Nokia Lumia phones

SMS and MMS problems on Nokia Lumia phones

I own Nokia Lumia 800 and it was working great by now, I did not had any issues with it but today I did not received any messages. Later when I tried cross checking it then I found that I am not able to send or receive SMS and MMS both. I have tried sending sms and mms from my phone a number of times but I am getting an error message saying “cannot send”. I have never faced the same error by now it started occurring today. Any ideas what might be wrong??

Re: SMS and MMS problems on Nokia Lumia phones

Do you remember the recent changes that you might have made?? You can check out the setting of sms and see if it is configured properly. I am not having Lumia 800 but as far as I am aware there is something called center address that must be configured properly. So check that out first and see if it has got changed, you can cross check those setting with your network provider. If that is not the case then there might be something wrong at your network provider. In both cases you will have to contact them, so just call then up and find out what’s wrong.

I have not made any changes in any kind of setting, everything was fine until yesterday and I did not had any issue in sending or receiving SMS and MMS. I have checked out the sms and mms setting and they are appearing as it is, there has not been any change in them. I have tried out rebooting the phone several times but that’s not making any difference. I am not having any issue with other functionalities of the phone like calling, browsing etc the issue is just with sending sms and mms. I have contacted my network provider to make sure that there is no network flaw but even they suggested me to check out the setting for those. They said that there is nothing wrong from their end and I will have to trouble it from my end. I am just running out of idea’s, don’t know what went wrong with it suddenly, I am not able to make out if there is something wrong with the phone or the network, in my case the network provider is Tata docomo.

I don’t think there might be anything wrong with your phone rather there has to be something wrong with the network. If you want then you can try performing reset and check out if that makes any difference.

Soft reset - press *#7780# and then Dial, you will be prompted for a security code, it will be 12345 you might have not changed it. At the end of the process your phone will be restored to factory defaults but you won’t be losing your personal data.

Hard reset - press *#7370# and press Dial, you will be prompted for a security code, it will be 12345 you might have not changed it. Make sure that you back up all your personal data as you will be losing them after the process.

It will be a better idea if you backup your data before performing any of the above reset tricks.

This is the mms setting for Tata docomo:
    • Setting Name : TATA DOCOMO MMS
    • APN(Access Point Name : TATA.DOCOMO.MMS
    • Proxy : Enable or Yes
    • Port : 8799
    • Proxy : 10.124.26.94
    • Data bearer : GPRS | Packet data
    • Home Page : http://mmsc/

Just make sure that you are having it configured like the above. As far as the sms is concerned I don’t think there is any setting required for it. It gets set by default and remains the same until changed.

I am not sure if the below thing will make any difference or not but you can try them out for narrowing down the issue:
    • Turn off your phone, take out the sim card, put it back and turn it on and see if the issue exists
    • Put some other sim card in your phone and check out if that’s working fine
    • Make sure your phone is showing proper signal as it can be due to some sort of signal issue.

Its surely something wrong at your network end, if you are not able to get it fixed after changing the setting and all then I don’t think there is anything you will be able to try out further. Better visit your nearest service provider galley and get it checked.