Thread: Is there any Gigapixel Camera in market

Is there any Gigapixel Camera in market

I heard in news that soon there will be Gigapixel cameras in market. Yet the last camera that I saw was around 40MP by Nokia. While there was one more which was 200 Megapixel by Hasselblad. I found that there are people who are working on Gigapixels. Is that really possible or this are just rumors. Yet the most common camera quality that people have is 8 Mega Pixel maximum. Gigapixel would be awesome.

Re: Is there any Gigapixel Camera in market

Yes I saw the same on BBC. It is a weird looking camera. The photo that I saw is very ugly. I think it will take a long time to reach in end user hands. Even today people do not prefer to buy 40 Mega Pixel camera. And you are talking about Gigapixels. This camera are surely used in satellites. According to that news there are some us people who are working on them. They are making a camera which is going to give around 50GP camera. The images will be produces with common effort of more than 80 cameras together. The images taken from that surely are awesome. It is not possible to have that much camera power at your hand. The higher the resolution the bigger the camera is. There are regular DSLR that comes with high mega pixel reaction and they are surely dedicated for photography only. This is just a news and it looks more like a sci-fi devices. To make a compact device out of it will take more longer time.

I never heard about that. It is right that people even thing to purchase a 8 mega pixel camera, and compared to that that Gigapixel is just a dream. But in coming future this might be introduced.

I got a chance once to test 200-megapixel camera that the second guy above mentioned. The camera is awesome and it can give you a high quality image of poster size. But it is not really worth to have a such a high megapixel camera. Not for regular users. For us I think 8 Megapixel is quiet enough. Going above that might be costly or even more expensive. What I prefer to have a is a good megapixel camera in smartphones. Right now there are no cheaper smartphone in the market with 8MP.