Thread: Source Codes of Sony Xperia Sola

Source Codes of Sony Xperia Sola

When is Sony going to release the Source codes for Sony Xperia Sola? I really wanted to know this from Sony or from any authorized person from sony. I am sure there’s still more days to go for the Ice Cream Sandwich update for Sola to come up on web but until the release of this update at least Sony can help their customers to get the Codes of this smartphone. Is there anyone with any of the updated news or information about the codes of Sony Xperia Sola? I wish I could get it as soon as possible so that I can at least do some R&D with the development of this device with respect to the CM9, MIUI. Come guys, have you opinion had me know what do you thing about it.

Re: Source Codes of Sony Xperia Sola

Yeah I do agree with your view, sony should have definitely released the source codes of Sola at least after a month of its release but I do not understand why they are not even in a plan of releasing it. Recently I came to know that they are actually very much busy with the the ICS update thing which I guess is delaying the Source Codes release of this phone. But I personally do not thing that ICS update should have been really a reason for Codes problem as the Sources of xperia s didn’t even took a long time for its release, the Sources were released soon after the release of the phone. I am not telling Sony to release the Codes now but at least they could try to release it before the ICS update get available. Let’s hope for the best and wait for Sony to reply on this issue, I am sure they will soon come up with a positive answer.

I had a talk with Sony people recently regarding the same issue on their website. The good thing was that they didn’t ignored or got off from my question instead they politely replied to all my doubts and questions related to the source codes of Sola. They clearly said that currently even they don’t have any idea about the release of the codes as they are still working up with the updates of Sola and only after the completion of the update they might come to a point where they will declare the release date of both the ICS update and Codes. But however whether the Codes will release before of after ICS update is not even known to them. Not one or two currently Sony has made their developers to work on multiple task prioritizing some of them. Possible if Codes are available they will be released soon.

First of all let me tell you that Source Codes of Sola is nowhere a mandatory thing if Sony intend, if they want they can even leave it without releasing to the customers. But however they will have to release the Code and for that they will have to definitely follow certain rules let it and reach it to their customers in some sort of form. If I am not mistaken almost all the phones comes up with a GPL Licensed binary that is available by the manufacturer themselves. I would better suggest you to visit the License page of your sola phone, there are some interesting information related to the Source code that you might find there. I am not aware of the information and also I do not have a Sony Ericsson phone to check out the License page. So better if you have it then please check out the section and let me know what’s written there. To reach the license page you need to Go to the Settings of your phone then visit About Phone then Legal Information and lastly you need to go to Open Source Licenses.

I too have a Xperia Sola with me and I have already visited the page that you have mentioned above. There sony have clearly mentioned about the Source Code availability to their customers who have the software that is licensed under the category of GPL or LGPL. Its not necessary that the license should be under GPL or LGPL only but also they can be under any other licenses that are open source but the only thing is that the license should definitely allow the distribution of the Code on a CD ROM. Also the Code might be available for a reasonable cost that might include the cost of shipping, handling and other things that covers under the distribution process. I guess the above mentioned things that are written in the Licenses page is the only thing that is to be performed by Sony for distributing their products (smartphones) to their customers. if what so ever is written in the License page is true then it is really disappointing to see Sony Ericsson not following their own instructions. They are purposely making it quite difficult to their users to get the Code for the software.

Yeah, I know that Sony is somehow trying not to allow its users to get the Source code. Even if their intention is not so rude their customers might definitely feel so as they are actually not responding to their necessity. As far as I know it’s only a single that is required to take up the code and then I guess the code might be easily available to other users.

At least they can update their users with some news about the release of the ICS Q3. As it is, they are too late now even if they are planning to release it later 2012 then it will be more annoying. Just imagine there is not even a confirm news neither about update nor about the Code.