Thread: MSI GX740-079US is overheating

MSI GX740-079US is overheating

I have been using GX740-079US and I never had any issues with it by now. I don’t know what went wrong with the same today and it turned off when I was playing battlefield 3. I did not had any such issues while playing the game before, when I turned it on then it started working fine but as soon as I started playing the game it turned off again after 40 mins. I thought that the issue was just with battlefield 3 but I was able to reproduce the same while playing other games as well. Is there anyone who has faced the same and can help me out solving it??

Re: MSI GX740-079US is overheating

I think that your issue is because of overheating, the laptop might be turning off when it might be getting overheated. I guess cpu fan in your case is not able to provide proper cooling. You should better check it out and make sure that it is not wrapped up in dust and is functioning properly. Just clean it out and see if it is making any difference, if that does not help then you can try running the fan high while playing games. I also wanted to know how long you have been using your laptop??

Yes you need to check out the cpu fan, if you are not getting any help after cleaning the fan and so then you can try applying thermal paste to your processor. If you are using it from a long time then there are chances that the thermal paste of your processor might have got dried. If you don’t have an idea about applying thermal paste to processor in your laptop then you can just Google out “Applying Thermal Compound to a Laptop CPU and GPU”. I think doing that will be a better idea. Just try it out and let me know if it is helping or not.

Yes there is an overheating issue, I don’t know how come it started suddenly as everything was working fine. I have noticed that the temperature is jumping above 100 when I am playing games. After your suggestion I have checked out the cpu fan and have cleaned it out as well. Doing that does not seem to be making any difference. I have tried applying the thermal compound following the tutorial you have suggested. The temperature has been reduced after that but same thing happens when I am playing game for about an hour. I am already running the fan on high but that’s hardly making any difference. Is there anything else that I can try out to get rid of this issue???

I am not very sure if these things will make any difference, since your case is appearing to be because of hardware. Anyways as you have mentioned that you are facing the overheating issue while playing the game I will suggest you to update your graphic card driver to the latest along with bios and see if they are appearing to be helpful. If these things do not help then you will probably have to update the processor or replace the cpu fan. Can you let me know specification of your laptop??

The fan appears to be working fine but I don’t know if there is something wrong with it or the cpu. I have tried updating the graphic card driver as well as the bios and my system is just up to date with all the recommended updates. I am quite sure that there is nothing wrong from the software side but it is a hardware issue. I just wanted to know if replacing the cpu fan will work?? Currently I am not in am not willing to spend that much for a new processor so is there anything else that I can try out for controlling the heat.

Specification:
    • Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    • 17" TFT-LCD Widescreen Display ATI Radeon HD5870 3D graphics card
    • 5 SRS Premium Sound-certified high-fidelity speakers
    • HDMI Output
    • Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam

I know that overheating issues in laptops are different as compared to computers as you cannot add extra fans to the case to control the heat but you do have other option. I mean you can get a cooling pad rather than replacing or updating the processor itself. I think that will be a better idea, there are a number of them available in the market, if you want then you can get “Logitech Cooling Pad N120” I think it is one of the best cooling pad. It will cost you around Rs. 1200 which is quite less than investing in a new cpu.

There are better options as well, these are the best ones that I have found:
    1. Cooler Master NotePal U2
    2. Cooler Master Notepal X2
    3. Thermaltake Massive23 LX
    4. Cooler Master NotePal Ergostand

You can get anyone of the above.

I just wanted to add that I have gone through same situation while using my acer laptop and I am using “Antec Notebook Cooler 200” now. According to my experience with “Antec Notebook Cooler 200” is the best cooling pad for the laptop, it has just ended the overheating issue in my case, now I can play games more than 2 hours without any issues. You can go through the specification of the same.
    • 200mm Antec Big Boy fan
    • Rated Voltage: 5V
    • Airflow at low speed (400RPM): 87.9CFM
    • Airflow at high speed (600RPM): 115.7CFM
    • Noise level: Low23.8dB, High 27.1dB
    • Rated power draw: Low 1.4W, High 2.0W