Thread: How to update basic kindle firmware to 4.1

How to update basic kindle firmware to 4.1

I am having a basic kindle and I am not having any issues with it but my friends have said that I can update it to firmware 4.1 to get new features. I don’t know how to do the same as I have not yet updated it by now. So is there anyone who can help me out with the steps required for updating my kindle. Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: How to update basic kindle firmware to 4.1

The updating process will be quite easy if you will follow the below steps:
    • First check out the current software version that you might be having, for that go to home> select Menu> and then on the Settings screen you will come to know about your Kindle software version. If you are not having 4.1 then you can download it from here http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...4.1.0_B00E.bin and save it to your desktop or place you want.
    • When you are done with the downloading part then just connect your kindle to your computer using usb and transfer that file in to your kindle drive. Make sure that you are transferring it on to the kindle drive and not in the folders that will be within kindle drive.
    • Now after transferring the file in to kindle disconnect it from your computer and from the Home screen just press the Menu button> Settings. After that press the menu button again and select update Your Kindle. When you get a prompt conforming if you want to proceed with the updating process then click on ok.
    • The updating process will start after that and will restart twice in between the process, so don’t bother about it and make sure that you are not interrupting the process till it gets completed.
    • When your kindle will restart for the second time then it should have completed the updating process successfully. You can just cross check it by going in to home> select Menu> and then on the Settings and you should see "Version: Kindle 4.1.0" at the bottom of the screen.

Just try out the same and let me know if you have any issue further, I will surely try to help you with it as well. Best of luck.

Re: How to update basic kindle firmware to 4.1

Below are the new features in firmware 4.1:
    • The font has been improved with higher contrast because of which you will find it to be crisper while reading and will get a paper-like reading experience.
    • You also get Parental Controls for restricting access to Experimental Web Browser, Archived Items, and the Kindle Store.
    • It also supports complex layouts and formats ebooks with Kindle Format 8.
    • It also has support for children's books with its Kindle Panel View and Kindle Text Pop-Up along with comic books.
    • You also get Dictionaries grouped for better organization.
    • The table image viewing has been improved as well with better panning and zooming.