Thread: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Trackpad wont work at all

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Trackpad wont work at all

I often use my brother’s Blackberry Torch 9800 phone to play games and surf internet. As it is a slider phone it has both touch screen and QWRTY keypad. Touchscreen is useful while browsing lengthy pages and QWERTy keypad is very attractive and convenient for messaging and text chat. Yesterday while playing games, the trackpad suddenly stopped working. It became unresponsive. I restarted the phone but still could not make it working. I don’t know whether it is a usual problem with this model phones or something else. It looks like I have to send it back to the repair center

Re: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Trackpad wont work at all

It looks like your phone’s trackpad has stuck permanently. In some case, the trackpad also stop functioning when there is a software glitch. Did you try the trackpad sensitivity?

There is a setting for you to configure the sensitivity of trackpad which will make how the trackpad will respond to touch. If you set it to high level then you don’t need to add too much pressure to navigate. However if you set it to lower level, it require little more pressure on trackpad. To set it:
    • From the Home screen, go to the Options icon and click on it.
    • Go to Typing and Input > Trackpad Sensitivity.
    • There are 2 settings you need to change: Horizontal Sensitivity field and Vertical Sensitivity field.
    • Once they are set, click on the Blackberry button (which has Blackberry logo on it) to save the settings.

The trackpad usually stops working on Blackberry when it freezes or hangs. If so, there is easy way to fix the issue. You might have seen that, the Blackberry touchpad work somewhat like optical mouse. Dust trapped around it could also cause the trackpad to stop working. Sometime lot of playing and too much pressure could also cause the damage to the trackpad. In this situation you don’t have any troubleshooting option other than replacing it. The cost of replacement would vary depending on the quality of trackpad you buy plus the cost of repair. If you replace it on authorized Blakcberry store, they might repair it or replace it for free but they can charge only for new piece of trackpad, no repair cost.

I am also using the Blackberry Torch 9800. MY trackpad also stopped working suddenly. Luckily I have all other things working fine like touchscreen and keypad. Due to this I didn’t get much problem with navigation and all but still it seems bit odd to work without using the trackpad since I was very much familiar with that. My friend suggested me that in order to get the trackpad working again I have to update the firmware to the latest version. I think that I have to try this because pulling out the battery and restarting the phone really didn’t work in my case. Firmware update or reloading firmware procedure is as follows:

• First of all install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to your computer or laptop
    • Using the USB data cable, connect the Blackberry Torch 9800 to the computer and launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    • Click on “Device” and choose "Update My Device."
    • A dialog box will be shown and in that you have to click "View Other versions."> select the upgrade and finally click on "Install Upgrade."
    • Sometime phone will ask for password to begin installation.
    • Select required applications which you want to load in your BB.
    • Go to “Settings” and mark "Delete All Application Data" and "Erase All Currently Installed Applications."
    • Click "OK," >"Next"> "Finish." That’s it. The new firmware has successfully installed now.