Thread: Want advice on iMac 27" CPU Upgrade

Want advice on iMac 27" CPU Upgrade

Right now I am having iMac 27”. I wanted to upgrade CPU of my iMac. While researching about this particular thing I found that , iMac powered by Core Duo CPU are having different socket as compared to Core i5 and Core i7 processors. Also tell me whether after upgrading , will warranty of iMac get affected? Any help to resolve the matter will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

re: Want advice on iMac 27" CPU Upgrade

As far as I know all iMac models are having soldered CPU on the logic board so I don’t think you will be able to remove the same. You will need different kind of logic board to install Core i5 and Core i7 on the laptop. However you can simply sell your existing model and get another one. As far as performance thing concerned, there is no huge difference between Core i5 , Core i7. There are number of people who had managed to upgrade CPU but it is very complicated thing to do. if you are not so technical person, I don’t recommend to do that, since there are huge chances to messing up with entire thing. if you still do it, warranty of iMac will get void if there is any.

Re: Want advice on iMac 27" CPU Upgrade

I completely agree with you. It is quiet not possible to upgrade CPU on iMac. Even same thing is applicable with graphic card as well. However Apple has allowed to upgrade RAM as well as hard drive. If you wanted to upgrade CPU that implies that entire logic board need to change. Right now RAM is the only part that can be upgraded by the end users. You can take help from Apple service center to upgrade reset of internal component as CPU, GPU.

Re: Want advice on iMac 27" CPU Upgrade

I know that there are lots of laptops available in the market which allows to do CPU, hard disk upgrade without having any much trouble. But it is not possible in case of iMac. Also I am suspecting that they had used logicboard firmware for some kind of CPU only. Even they had developed iMac in manner so that it could provide limited amount of power to CPU, that means if you install CPU which requires higher voltage would not work at all. another point is TDP factor, it gets vary from CPU to CPU.