Thread: MSI GT780: black screen after BIOS update

MSI GT780: black screen after BIOS update

I am using the MSI GT780 laptop since long time. There was some problem with my computer and I decided to update the BIOS for that. I updated the BIOS Successfully, but since than my system is not booting up. It just show me a Black screen and the laptop cannot start.

Can somebody tell me that what can be the reason for this problem and how can I get this problem resolved? Thank you!!!

Re: MSI GT780: black screen after BIOS update

Just check that if you are getting the display by connecting some external monitor with the laptop. There might be something wrong while performing the BIOS update. So I am posting with the correct way to flash the BIOS. I hope that this will be helpful for you.

• First of all, format the USB drive in FAT32 format.
    • After this unzip the new downloaded BIOS in USB drive.
    • Once the file transfer is competed the take out the USB drive.
    • Reboot the laptop and keep pressing F2 otherwise DEL key and that will let you to the BIOS setup.
    • Search for the Easy Flash Utility and transfer that to the USB drive.
    • Locate the Easy flash to the BIOS file and go with the simple onscreen instructions.
    • After it reboots the laptop then you can get into the BIOS setup utility and from there choose "Load Optimized Defaults".
    • Save that and exit the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Uganda View Post
    I am using the MSI GT780 laptop since long time. There was some problem with my computer and I decided to update the BIOS for that. I updated the BIOS Successfully, but since than my system is not booting up. It just show me a Black screen and the laptop cannot start.
    There is possibility that the BIOS of your system is bricked. If this is true then I don’t think that there is any method to resolve this on your own. I am telling you because it does not provide any built-in backup which will help to restore the BIOS and also there is no method to flash the BIOS again. You must RMA that to manufacturer, this is the best thing that you can do for this. I don’t think that there is any other option available for you.

It is now clear that your BIOS is corrupted and there is just one option for you to get the issue solved is to flash the corrupted BIOS. With the help of the below mentioned steps you will overwrite the corrupted BIOS and fix your system back. Just follow the given steps properly:

1. First of all you will have to download the clean BIOS as of the motherboard manufacturer's site. You can do that from some other working computer. There are two kind of BIOS installation and they are Flash Drive utility and CD-ROM utility. You can select the one according to the USB flash drive or CD-ROM burner availability.
    2. Format the CD-ROM or USB flash drive and make a boot device used for new BIOS. Now you can connect the flash drive to the USB port and if you are using CD-ROM burner then insert the blank CD into it. Select the option for format after right clicking in the drive. See for the checkbox that is labeled as "Create an MS-DOS startup disk." After this start with the format process.
    3. Now, you will have to copy all the BIOS content into the boot directory of the USB flash drive or CD that you are using. Write the name for the .exe file which is integrated with the file contents with BIOS file name.
    4. Now you are ready with your boot device and you will have to connect that with the computer with corrupted BIOS. Start that computer and wait until you get the screen for boot selection.
    5. From the boot Device Menu, you will have to choose the BIOS boot device. Press the F8 key and that will open the boot selection menu. From here, you will have to boot to command prompt.
    6. Now, enter the .exe file name as of the BIOS contents and then hit the space bar.
    7. Now, enter the BIOS file name and hit enter button in order to flash the BIOS file onto system.
    8. After the completion of the process, you ca n remove the boot device from that computer and restart the computer in order to activate new BIOS.

TIP: in order to get the exact model of the motherboard that you are using, you can simply open the case cover and examine the motherboard. You will get the model name stamped there.

I have faced this problem earlier and the solution was very simple for this. I just reset the CMOS battery in it and it resolved the problem for me. Other than this, check if the CMOS battery is charged or not. I am telling this because you might have to replace the CMOS battery with the new one.