Thread: What is the risk involved in giving IMEI number on Internet?

What is the risk involved in giving IMEI number on Internet?

Hi people I want to know what are the risks involved in giving out imei code to some outside sources in the internet. I was just looking at a particular site wherein I had to register it was some site related to mobile. So they asked for the imei code of the phone. I had no options but to reveal the imei code to them. Now I am just wondering whether it would give me some kind of problem in the future? I want to know do you all have given imei codes to some outside sources which you aren’t aware of? That’s what I want to know? Will revealing out the imei code give me some kind of security conflict or so, I am bit worried about this thats why I came here to seek some help from you all on this. any particular advise on this would be of great help for me. so do reply out guys.

Re: What is the risk involved in giving IMEI number on Internet?

See there is a lot of risk involved in giving out the imei code for any outside sources. They might report it elsewhere and can frame this phone with this particular imei code is blacklisted. So that will put your phone in blacklist and your phone would be useless from that day because it won’t be useful at all. I hope you wont have given the sim card number to them in case if you have given them then they can use your number to do various number of illegal activities so they will be doing that and if police or some kind of anti crime people trace the number then you would be blamed for that. that’s why it is very important to not reveal any kind of important information such as imei code or the sim card number to any outside sources. If you give it then you are under threat and people can take advantage of you in various ways.

Re: What is the risk involved in giving IMEI number on Internet?

Full form of IMEI is International Mobile Equipment Identifier it is a 15 digit code which is feeded in the phone during the production of the phone. That code has information regarding manufacturer, model type and the approval body for the handset. Very important to have the imei code and not share it with others, there are lots of attacks which has resulted because of posting imei codes into internet, that’s why don’t give imei codes to any trusted sources. Its like revealing out the security code to any other sources. So better be safe then sorry. In caseif you are stuck in a situation which is described by the person above then better sell off the phone that would be better for you.