Thread: iphone 3gs can't activate; no service - after software update

iphone 3gs can't activate; no service - after software update

I've been trying to fix my phone ALL DAY, please help:

After doing some iphone software "update" (to ios 5.0.1?), I can't activate the phone and/because it says there is no sim card. It also says "no service". Up until today, after the update install, I have had no problems with my phone and service.

phone: iphone 3gs, bought secondhand so it's been unlocked and jailbroken previous to my purchase

service: T-mobile sim card

according to TinyUmbrella:

baseband is 05.16.05-6.4_M3S2

but "firmware" is blank... what is my firmware? I don't know!
    (I wanted to follow this video, but it says its for firmware 6.15

~youtube.com/watch?v=oCwt4FO1qqs&list=UUjBxA5zMeHEzvWLTYHxt5fQ&index=4&feature=plcp~)

serial number: 87925...

I have tried restarting the phone, taking out and reinserting sim card, putting in DFU mode, etc.

Thank you ahead of time for any help and contributions.

Re: iphone 3gs can't activate; no service - after software update

Alright, here is what you can do, download sn0wbreeze v2.9.2 by searching it from google. Open it and browse ipsw 5.1 and open it, click on the old bootrom and then click next, it will show you three options, just click on Baseband Preservation mode and then click next. Wait for a few seconds cause sn0wbreeze will make custom ispw 5.1 software. In the next you will be shown how to do a dfu mode in iphone, once it is all completed, open itunes and hold shift down from your keyboard and click enter. Browse to the custom sn0wbreeze ipsw and thus your phone will be back in working conditions again.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Thank you for responding. Problem:

Once I get into itunes and choose the snowbreeze ipsw...
    After "Extracting software" it says : "The iphone could not be restored. Unknown error (3194)."

I tried unplugging, replugging iphone, redoing, restarting itunes, etc.

Thank you for the response.

However,
    Problem:
    Once I get in itunes and choose snowbreeze custom ipsw, after "extracting software", it says "Iphone can not be restored. Unknown error."

?

Re: iphone 3gs can't activate; no service - after software update

Quote Originally Posted by lbee0305 View Post
    Thank you for responding. Problem:

Once I get into itunes and choose the snowbreeze ipsw...
    After "Extracting software" it says : "The iphone could not be restored. Unknown error (3194)."

I tried unplugging, replugging iphone, redoing, restarting itunes, etc.

Thank you for the response.

However,
    Problem:
    Once I get in itunes and choose snowbreeze custom ipsw, after "extracting software", it says "Iphone can not be restored. Unknown error."

?
    For the "The iphone could not be restored. Unknown error (3194)." you can try out the below solution and see if it is helping:
    • First Close iTunes and then check out the below hosts file
      • Mac: /etc
      • Windows: c:\windows\system32\etc)
    • When you get them then Open the file in Notepad with administrator privileges and then At the bottom right just change Text Documents to All Files, when you are done with the same then open the hosts file and Add in Notepad to the very bottom of the hosts file and then Save the file,just save the file and don’t close it.
    • Now Connect the iPhone to pc and startiTunes and then Put theiPhone in DFU mode.
    • when the iTunes will announce it has found the phone in recovery mode then just Restore the iPhone via iTunes and once the restore process is complete just remove the “#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com” line and save it again and and close the hosts file this time.Doing This will let the iTunes for updating properly further.