Thread: Does Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 supports ext3 or exFAT

Does Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 supports ext3 or exFAT

Right now I own a 32 GB Class 10 microSD card and I am using it with my Galaxy tablet. There were few movies stored in it and they are in h264/aac format which the tablet can play normally. Actually these files are very big, somewhat the size of 4.5gb. The default format for my microSD card is FAT32. The problem is, FAT32 does not accept files which are larger than 4gb each. It is a limitation. Is there any alternative file system which I can use to store these files in my memory card? I use USB adapter and PartedMagic / gParted to format the card. At first, I have formatted it to ext3 but it didn’t work. The card didn’t able to mount at all. After tha I formatted it with an exFat. Here also the same thing. Is there any other option left for me?

Re: Does Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 supports ext3 or exFAT

Do you have an option in recovery that is called "fix file permissions"? You would not link with the internal sdcard but it does something with that card. Try that option once again. The FAT32 file system does not accept files larger than 4GB is a limitation because it is a fairly old system files. In fact usually the pen drives are formatted in the file system and same thing happens. What you can do is format it on another system compatible with Android (ext3) but if you have Windows compatibility issues. Also these problems with the write permissions on the SD card (format is indeed a form of writing) is a bug in the honeycomb, I was able to find. It does not occur on all devices and it seems not at all the cards. With ICS, everything will better.

exFAT Will it replace FAT32? Yes, it's pretty obvious, if only because memory cards are required to spend. For general public use, it's a bit more efficient, we gain a little ability and most importantly, the limitations of FAT32 annoying (4 MiB per file) jump. The problem is exFAT is not yet (and probably never will be) totally universal. Where FAT32 is supported on 99% of machines on the market, exFAT requires a newer computer (Windows Vista, XP with a driver or Mac OS X Snow Leopard), and devices such as cameras, Media Center, etc. . are rarely compatible. Finally, exFAT is interesting and effective but still does not replace FAT32. And given the way things are progressing, FAT32 is likely to remain still (very) long time the only file system completely universal, though NTFS is more commonly offered.

Why do you want to format the card again after you have them already formatted in FAT32 on your PC?

I have in my androids until now the only cards formatted on a PC and never in the device itself. But there had never had any problems. If the card is formatted and fresh is then inserted into your Tab, the Android automatically writes on it a couple of data that the system needs to communicate with the card can be. You can also look you in the file manager. This should be on the old 16GB card also not being any different. Anything else that is to bask Digicam from various apps since the store data on it. Although most of the data on the internal SD apps are stored.

With exFAT is possible to exceed the limit of 4 gibibyte FAT32 file for up to 64 Zibibyte theorists, generously sized handle drives larger (64 versus 2 Zibibyte theoretical Tebibyte FAT32), access to data much more quickly and work with folders populated a larger number of content (4 thousand pictures in RAW format, 100 HD movies, 60 hours of recording in high definition). With the opening of the Microsoft format to the entire industry expects wide adoption of exFAT, and partners already have embraced the (relatively) new standards include Sony, Canon, Sanyo and SanDisk. The SD Association has also highlighted the benefits of using exFAT on SDXC memory cards such as support for volumes larger capacity and larger files, plus the ability to reach full operating speed of 300 MBps thanks to the modern design of the new file system from Redmond.

Windows supports Ext3 and many other file systems do not. On Windows XP and higher you can use only native FAT, FAT32, exFAT and NTFS. If you want to use EXT2 or EXT3, then you need a special driver for it (not from Microsoft). Otherwise, you can also just take a Linux Live CD and format the hard drive as gparted to ext3. But then the whole partition is EXT3. Because the file system is not a file, but the way how files are stored on disk. You can create multiple partitions on an SD card - for example, the first and the second with exFAT with EXT3, but then you can only access Linux on the second partition, no device - as well as Windows does - on SD cards accesses more partitions. But almost any device (such as your video camera) is clear with EXT3. Most devices simply assume that the memory cards (and USB sticks) are formatted according to standard Windows. But I do not know why it should change its SD-card to a different file system. Unless one pays close attention to the fact that you buy any hardware, and I have yet to see any equipment (except computers) that are using something other than Windows file systems come clear.

Under FAT32 file must be max. up to 4 gigabytes. This limit is a consequence of the only 4-byte field for the file size in the Directory table. Under FAT32, you will only remain the movies> 4GB in less space consumption compatible format, "transform" thus a smaller file. With NTFS Android (Linux) to start anything. EXT3 / EXT4 I just read me even a first.

Android phones and tablet PCs to support memory cards with which the internal device memory can be expanded. The manufacturers supply but usually with low capacity memory cards only. Since it is necessary in operation for some time, then, copy the data from the built-in memory card to a new memory card with greater capacity. The performance bottleneck in modern smartphones and tablet PCs is equipped with memory. Here, the internal memories of the device are stored on the essentially internal applications, complemented by a memory card. The memory card can be used both for additional software installations as well as for data in the form of pictures, movies or music. As a card type from the Android mobile systems MicroSD or MicroSDHC memory cards (dimensions 15 x 11 x 1 mm). The MicroSD memory card (also called T-Flash or TransFlash called) are not much bigger than a fingernail and provide transfer rates of up to 9.4 MB per second.