Thread: Certificate error in my Windows Phone 7

Certificate error in my Windows Phone 7

Hi all, it’s been long, I know that. There have many things to keep me busy. Anyways, getting to what actually led me to opening this thread is that I happened to buy a new Nokia Lumia phone with Windows 7 installed it.it is an awesome piece I tell you. Even though I read a lot of negative reviews post ordering and was considering of ways to cancel the order, when It came to my hand and I started using it, it was simply awesome to work with.
    Now, the problem is that I have been trying to setup my Windows Phone 7 with our exchange server with the use of internal CA certificate as the mediator. I checked and confirmed that there exists not a single way that will help installation of a custom root CA certificate that has been released for Windows Phone 7 as yet. So, I tried emailing the hotmail account a copy of my root Certificate Authority Certificate file and the installation simply worked fine after that

But the problem that I am facing is that whenever I try configuring my phone in order to sync with Exchange, it still reports an error with code: 80072f0d. can anyone fix this for me?

Re: Certificate error in my Windows Phone 7

Ok! I think I get where the problem actually lies. Allow me to put it forward to you. Whenever you try and end up installing the certificate file by yourself manually, the file is usually installed in the My (i.e. the user) certificate store that exists on the device. But if you want to root, its certificate is supposed to be installed in ROOT certificate store which is very difficult and next to impossible to easily drop into windows Phone 7. At this point of time if you ask me how to go about this, I doubt if I will be able to help. The reason being that WP7 devices aren’t available in my country for a few weeks to follow.

As of now, I would recommend you to stop hacking around and get an SSL certificate issued from an authenticated and authorized vendor. I would strongly recommend a GoDaddy certificate for you which is supposed to solve your issue perfectly upon which you will also save a sum lf 20$ if a single name certificate is what is in your mind. Also, remember that any tom-dick and harry certificate won’t do, you will require a SAN certificate

I don’t know, how much will the above given solution work for you. All I can say is that you should definitely give it a try without really expecting much. Same with the solution that I am recommending it need not work for sure. But why I am confidently suggesting you is because irrespective of the fact that I lack surety about this working for you, it did work for me and absolutely perfect. So, let us give it a try, I’ll tell you what I tried and all, you just follow that in a good way.
    Do you possess a Root Certificate Authority Certificate of your domain, so in case you don’t then firstly go to your locale Client which might be anything, a laptop or a PC then switch open something called as MMC and then load
    the certificate’ snap in and then select the Local Computer
    - Go to some very trusted Root Certification Authorities and then Certificates.
    - Look out for your root CA certificate
    - On your local computer, I want you to export your certificate as nothing but a DER-coded-binary X.509 (CER) on your local computer
    - And then spare some time to search for the certificate and when found, take the pain of sending it via Main which might be anything Hotmail as an example.
    - After this, you need to sync it with the mail box and open the required document.
    - Install the very same certificate and now trace the link with the EAS account.

Hello guys, I just went through the above solution and realized that the problem you just mentioned has a better and easier solution to this. I think the solution mentioned is a bit of a complicated one so I am putting down a simpler solution to this. Follow the below steps to this:
    1. There must be an exported certificate on your system, not at the moment but previously exported. Upload that to start with
    2. Create a website that is single, an can be accessed from the internet and make sure that it bears the initially uploaded certificate file
    3. This is an optional step where in it need not be done for certain root certificate, just restrict the access to the folder or file with password authentication
    4. After this, go to windows phone 7 phone and navigate to the created website to find a download link and click it
    5. Now in order to check if everything you just applied and changed has come into effect, simply restart the phone on doing which you can mark the end of the process
    Why I am recommending this solution over other solutions provided in the thread has some reasons which can be listed as follows
    1. The first one is that you are not required to configure a temporary email account on every WP7 device that you wish to activate.
    2. You will not require different addresses, instead you will have one single static address which will help you navigate and download certificate for each user
    3. You are not required to wait so that the email that you requested that has the certificate contained with it arrives to the destination desired

Even I am facing a problem which is quite similar to what Raana mentioned and none of the solutions provided here seems to be helping me with this issue. I have been in an attempt to establish a synchronization between my LG Quantum Phone and an exchange server which is behing the run of exchange 2003 sp2.

The twist and I used to think one better part in my story is that we have a certificate which is self issued one. I have successfully installed the root certificate as per my wish which is for the exchange server on the phone and I have used ‘email it to my gmail account and install it from there’ method for this purpose.

With this I am the proud privilege holder of the power of power cycling the phone. But the problem that I am facing is that whenever I attempt to establish a synchronization of my outlook and the server it informs me that the information required and entered like the server, password, domain etc is incorrect. However I am very sure about the fact that I have been providing the correct information

Whenever I try importing this certificate to a laptop it without any prompt by default goes and saves itself into the personal certificate store. Now, I have this task of actually going through the ‘Trusted Root Certificates’ store and save it right there so that it can allow outlook to establish a connection between it and out exchange server. After the installation of the certificate on the phone, it has not offered me any option it hust got installed. I am unaware of the location though. Are there "personal" certificate stores that differ from "trusted root certificate" stores in WP7? If so, how can I tell the phone to install the certificate there instead of in the "personal" cert store?