Thread: ThinkPad T420 BIOS lock

ThinkPad T420 BIOS lock

Hi guys,

I bought a T420 i5 cheap off Ebay, and it had a bios lock on it, i've searched the net for a solution, the popular one was made in 2006 where you read the chip. does anyone know if this still works for the new models?

Theres also a brand new chip on ebay for sale, where you replace the old password protected chip with the shiny new one and it solves it

Is there another way of doing this? the HD is fine, ive already had it out and was able to read it with no problems, so its just the bios

Thanks for any help

Re: ThinkPad T420 BIOS lock

There is one method which i found in the net and it was by hacking the BIOS password of ThinkPad T420. there is a website named as 'sodoityourself' you can check out the process over there. Although its a very risky process so think twice before you decide to give a try. i would recommend you to get a chip from the online store and replace it. That's much better.

Anyways the choice is yours. All the best.

Flashing bios is an easy way to get rid of this problem. All you need is a good tool to flash the bios and the bin file. You can try using UniFlash for the same. This tool is bit amazing for flashing bios and it works with many systems. So just download this tool on your system and then try it out. You will have to proper steps in-order to make a bios flash usb or bootable media. Without that it is not possible to get a proper flashed bios file. Remember that if this is not done properly your system might stop working. You will have to do this smartly.

Bios flashing is not easy. If you did the same in wrong way your system might fail to boot permanently. So better avoid this thing. If your laptop is out of warranty then there is one more thing you can do. You can try opening the laptop and remove the battery life from it. Keep it aside for few seconds and add it back. Repack your system and boot. This is more than enough to remove the password. You just need a good manual to find out the process in order to open your laptop. If you are not aware about the same you can take help from experts.