Thread: Will ROMs developed for the HTC One X also work for the One XL?

Will ROMs developed for the HTC One X also work for the One XL?

I have a simple question to ask you all people, is there anyone who can let me know whether I will be able to use HTC One X ROM with One XL. The thing is that currently I am looking out to buy a brand new android phone and let me tell you that its going to be my first phone so I do not want to take any kind of risk and therefore clearing everything before planning to do anything. Just let me know that whether ROMs that are developed for the One X can also possibly work for the XL?

Re: Will ROMs developed for the HTC One X also work for the One XL?

Sorry for such negative but I think the fact lies with this negative answer. I would really doubt your idea and I think you won’t be able to make the ROM work on XL. As according to my knowledge I believe that ROMs and kernels are totally dedicated for different CPU and GPUs. The ROM will however have to undertake the different radios under consideration such as 4G. The ROMs which you are talking about may not work directly but once if you try to add LTE and processor support then I think it would not be that tough as far as I know. At the max you can do this thing if there’s a firmware cooker that will simply add those automatically to One X Roms in order to make them compatible. You may need different processor and let me tell you that LTE won’t be a huge problem. It is going from an Nvidia quad core 3 to a Qualcomm S4 Krait dual core; you may require a complete different hardware that may require different drives and paths. There’s a kind of package that might help in injecting the drivers that are very much necessary for the successful implementation and also will help you to be able to use.

You may need different chipset but unfortunately they might not be compatible out of the box. Its something like the people are making the ROM by themselves that will make the version for both AT&T and international as already done with lot of other phones with different chipsets. There might be a US team member and an international team member working on those parts. For now all the people including me are going for buying the One X from UK. I really do not have any idea whether the two phones i.e. One X and One XL are ever being compatible ROM wise. However the FCC has cleaned the international version which is to be shipped to US and somehow runs fine on AT&T's radios. I seriously do not find any point in people going for quadcore hype when there is Krait is faster than Tegra 3.

The One X will going to be an EU/Asia HSPA+ phone but the One XL will however going to be used internationally and the only difference between each XL is the radio bands. As for many users it doesn’t really matters as there is still a radio differences and processor differences, in short it’s a complete different SoC which makes it difficult for transposing between the devices. I believe that the One X is surely going to have the dev support and One XL has to make out the strikes out of the gate. The worst issue is that people are trying to run LTE into a major cluster of radio bands for the support, if you are not aware let me tell you that there is already 4 bands for GSM and 5 for WCDMA and not sure but some 4 bands of LTE only in US. If you check you will notice a huge mess of bands in North America alone:
    • Verizon: 700 MHz, phones are CDMA/LTE dual
    • AT&T: 700 and AWS, phones are GSM/HSPA/LTE triple
    • MetroPCS: 1900 and AWS, phones are CDMA/LTE dual
    • Sprint: 1900 including G-Block , and phones will be CDMA/LTE dual

That’s useful information, there’s one thing that is to be surely noted down; the Verizon and AT&T 700 MHz LTE service are completely on a different channels in 700 MHz and therefore they are not going to be compatible. Generally LTE is very much expected to be deployed on 38 different radio bands.
    For now all the people including me are going for buying the One X from UK. I really do not have any idea whether the two phones i.e. One X and One XL are ever being compatible ROM wise. However the FCC has cleaned the international version which is to be shipped to US and somehow runs fine on AT&T's radios. I seriously do not find any point in people going for quadcore hype when there is Krait is faster than Tegra 3.
    If you are really concerned about the decrement in the development and do not care about LTE then surely this is the best way to go on. Both HTC brands i.e. HTC One X and One XL is going to be very much popular here at XDA but for the people who want the most popular device and also the most supported one then they might go for One X. I just wanted to make sure whether the people who are planning to buy One X instead of the One XL are really going to buy it unlocked, the reason I am asking this question is because if I am given X for the same price then probably I might certainly sacrifices LTE.

Yeah sure if asked me then my answer would be yes, I will be buying it unlocked. And now just me but I guess if you ask others even they might end up giving you the same answer. But it won’t be for the same price for sure. Speaking about the price then I guess AT&T One X will cost you around at least $549.99 off contract. Until now the lowest price I have seen for the international T3 One X was $675.50. taking about One XL then I must say that it would be very much cheaper than the One X. after few months of release One X is surely going to be in the range of 550.00.

Why is it that most of the people are just going on with the Tegra One X over the SnapDragon One X? let me tell you that I am not at all refereeing to the AT&T version instead I am referring to the non AT&T One X that is going to have the snapdragon. I must say that this snapdragon overtakes Tegra in all sorts of testing and therefore you should probably be able to simply swap out the modem with the help of AT&T version in order to AT&T LTE or just get it to work on T-Mobile as it would support AWS. I personally feel that all the US Dev somehow wants a better processor phone.

Hey I think the reason for people going for the Tegra One X is that the Tegra Version is out and the LTE is not yet out. There are people who just expect to get quad over dual, I personally do consider Tegra as the best one. Look everyone know about the fact that Tegra is no where better in any aspect as it is only one or two apps that can probably utilize all the cores with so poor battery performance. Snapdragon is quite faster compared to Tegra. It can simply do anything that is possible by Tegra in a much better way and also with best battery power. If you are really willing to use it on T-Mobile same as I am using then you can simply hold up the modem from the AT&T version, you will land up getting 32GB with enabled NFC and the working FM tuner.

I completely disagree with you my dear. I do not believe you. You simply made the above comment or you really mean what you say. As far as I know I think snapdragon possibly does not and I guess can never kill tegra 3 in nearly all tests. Its better you first checkout the comparisons between these two properly, I would better suggest you to read Engadgets in order to know the proper comparison between snapdragon and Tegra. I would help you out with the comparison between them with respect to the benchmarks, the benchmark where snapdragon 4 takes over is very much marginal but the benchmark where the Tegra 3 wins even snapdragon is far behind.

I have already checked out the Engadget and also other related things and learnt a lot about the comparison. What exactly I meant to say with overtaking is that if you make them test with the real world performance then testing the S4 is definitely going to be far better than the processor and everyone knows that for sure. I believe that 4 cores doesn’t really means anything as already there are number of apps, games and browsers that only sees 2 cores. Let me tell you one thing, you won’t be able to notice the difference unless you are over analytical. And commenting on the benchmark, take for example Antutu; it takes the cores under consideration for the main result and not the real world activities which simply affects what exactly we need.

And as the compatibility is considered, I think I already told that most of the US Dev is however trying to wait for the S4 version and also the radios and modems are going to be interchangeable. Always remember that there are two version of S4 variant and also the global version is going to have 32gigs with included radio/fm tuner so therefore ROM for two of them will surely work and not for the Tegra.