Thread: iPhone 4 doesn't allow reasonable range with the Bluetooth headset

iPhone 4 doesn't allow reasonable range with the Bluetooth headset

Faced no problem with the physical usage of iPhone until now, everything is working well and fine and also I am very much satisfied but seems like the Bluetooth is not being so active and impressive. My iPhone 4 is not allowing a reasonable range to the Bluetooth and also Bluetooth headset is not working well. My iPhone 4 is quite old but the Bluetooth headset is very much new. I bought it last month from the Apple store. I tried the Bluetooth headset with IPhone 3G & IPhone 3G-S and I must say that its working great and also I didn’t find any compatibility issue between them. but then when it comes to iphone 4 seems like everything is messed up. The main problem is that whenever I connect my Bluetooth headset with my iPhone and if I ever put the iPhone into my shirt or pant pocket the Bluetooth connection is disconnected automatically. When I noticed this behavior I simply started testing the Bluetooth and my iPhone 4 keeping them in several different conditions. Like once I kept my iPhone 4 inside my car and I stood right beside the car door but then too the Bluetooth connection got disconnected somehow. If the connection fails when inside the car then its fine but its not done when the Bluetooth is disconnected even if you are keeping the phone inside your pocket because phones are obviously meant to be kept inside the pocket and if the connection is failed by doing so then what’s the use of getting a Bluetooth headset. However many times I tried to recreate the issue with some of the other models of apple including IPhone 3G-S with IOS 4 installed into it but it seems like the issue is only meant for iPhone 4 and not for any other device, quite strange. Is there anyone who is facing the same problem with their iPhone 4 especially with other apple device?

Re: iPhone 4 doesn't allow reasonable range with the Bluetooth headset

Hey I am the one with the same problem with my iphone 4, in fact I have some additional issues with the Bluetooth I am having. I mean other than the disconnection issue I also have some minor problems while have a talk on a call through my Bluetooth headset. I do have a iPhone 4 as already told before and a jawbone icon. The device seems to be disconnecting at an average of 12 times after every hour. Initially I thought that the issue was with the jawbone and therefore I simply went on to replace it and got a new one. I was easily able to replace the device just because it was under warranty. But seems like the replacement doesn’t proved to be the correct decision for me, the problem is still existing with the same symptoms. This means that jawbone never had any relation to this problem and I simply like a mad guy replaced it. The most interesting thing is that the same problem persist in my sister’s iphone 4 too, which we noticed few days ago. Therefore now I am into a conclusion that the issue is completely due to iphone 4 and nothing else. I would really expect Apple team to sort out this issue as soon as possible.

I am a business man and I am always suppose to travel from one place to another all the day without fail and even I have to be on calls which are one of the most important activity for me. And therefore to get a successful implementation I bought a new Bluetooth headset for myself so that I could even able to make call and alongside also I will be able to drive all the way without any interruption. But from the time I bought this headset, it kept on giving me some sort of problem till date. Whenever I make a call through my Bluetooth headset, the person on the other side of the call either doest hears me properly or its me who doesn’t able to hear him properly. The sound quality always muffles. Also my iPhone 4 doesn’t allow me to change between my car audio phone feature back to IPhone 4 without freezing or hanging. Other than these issue as already mentioned above the worst and the major one is the Bluetooth disconnection once if the iPhone is taking away to a certain extend. The last issue which I have mentioned is the one which is affecting me the most as I am unable to use my phone inside the car. Please someone come up with a solution for this problem or at least provide me with a temporary fix for the same.

Having the same problem but my case is bit different, I mean its not disturbing or troubling me at all instead all my friends and the people who are on call with me are facing the problem as they are always unable to hear me if I talk to them through my Bluetooth headset. I never replaced the headset, instead I bought a new one of the same brand but then problem still remained the same. Then believing that the issue might be due to the same brand headset this time I went for some other brand Bluetooth but the problem didn’t eliminate. Now I have 3 bluetooth headsets in all and all of them are with the same issue. The most interesting that I have noticed is that my range has now come down to some 5 feet. With a different phone the range is quite better. Therefore last week I bought a new iPhone 4 and found that the range I got was quite decent i.e. 30+ feet and also the sound was very much proper as according to the person talk to me on the other side of the phone. Now I am very convinced that the issue was completely due to the iPhone and therefore I took my problematic phone to the support center for a warranty replacement and guess what over there confirmed news that the issue is solely with the iPhone 4 and not with the headset or something. Other than this when I tried same headset on my friend’s iPhone 3 GS, everything worked fine, again I got a confirmed with the news that the problem is not with the headset and my very own iPhone 4 was in fault. However I sent my iPhone4 for the replacement, I will get it replaced by next week soon.

I think I am the one who understands the problem very well and if possible can also explain you the issue in a much interpretative manner. note that I will explain everything as per my own experience so therefore I am not going to change the brand name of the Bluetooth headset I own.
    • If you have a original iPhone 4 with a brand new motorola H17 headset, result is muffled voice which no one can understand from the other end of the phone call.
    • Now with the replaced iPhone 4 and the same original motorola H17 headset result is still the same with no big difference
    • Now with the replaced iPhone 4 and also replaced motorola H17 headset with the new one resulted in the same muffled voice. This time I thought that the headset might be having the issue as the iPhone 4 was already replaced.

Ultimately gave a last try with a brand new motorola H17 headset and iPhone 3GS and guess what? Crystal clear voice with no interruption or issue. maybe unfortunately both the iPhone 4s I got were faulty but anyhow ultimately the conclusion would be that iPhone 4 is faulty and not the headset for sure.

Purely iPhone 4 is the main culprit, for this at least I need not have to do any kind of experiment. Few people might have got a another faulty iPhone 4 after making a replacement but that doesn’t mean that the issue was with the headset and not with iPhone 4. Remember one thing that not one not two I did the replacement for at least 5 times and after those replacement I got a better one at the end. Just imagine if I would have stopped the replaced after second or third time believing that the issue might be something else then would I ever be able to get the better iphone? My friend have a iPhone 3GS with a built-in Bluetooth and he never had any issue either with the phone or with the Bluetooth. But in my case whenever I made a call, the guy on the other side of the call told me that my voice is muffing. Unfortunately there is no fix until now found for the Bluetooth related issues instead the only thing you can probably do is replacing the doubtful device and see whether you got the right one or not.

My first iphone and I ended up having a bitter experience. Expected a lot from it but now trying to control all the expectation until I get the issue fixed. Not sure where exactly the problem persists therefore I blame both the phone and the headset. I have got a jawbone which had this range issue, therefore bought a new jawbone 2 and found the similar issue with this new device also. The problem actually started all of the sudden, once while using jawbone gave me a 'disconnected sound' and then few minutes later it again gave me 'connected sound'. I took this thing very much lightly and therefore carried out with the normal activity. I should have realized at the same time that the disconnection behavior is happening without even touching the phone. Even if I keep the phone near to the headset as much as possible, then too I encounter a 'disconnected sound'. Anyways for a temporary fix I have been using an included earphones and frankly speaking its not giving me a satisfying and good experience. I would really request apple to somehow get a fix for this issue.

I bought a new iPhone 4 for my brother along with a brand new Plantronics Voyager Pro. Believe me from the day i gave him the devices he has been facing some sort of issue endlessly while using it. The first and the most noticeable one is the one which is mostly discussed over here is the muffled sound. Every time either he doesn’t hear the caller properly or else the person on the other side of the call doesn’t hears him at all. The situation becomes too worst when the disconnection problem comes into picture. Anyways after consulting number of expert and experienced person I came up with a proper solution. I was suggested to reset the Network settings. I thought this would not really help but I was wrong, it actually helped all the way. the went off completely. Now my brother is being able to make calls as comfortable as possible and also now there is no need to afraid of the disconnection issue. he keeps his phone wherever he wants with no restriction of the boundary limitation. He Bluetooth range was some 30+ feet around the phone and that’s what he is getting currently. Very much happy with the phone and the Bluetooth now. Hope my post will help at least few of the users having the same issue.

Yeah you are right this solution does works. After reading out your post I suddenly tried it out and found that the trick was actually working well. But this solution didn’t left me with my happiness for a longer time. as soon as started making calls tension freely found that the issue recreated automatically. I mean to say that the solution worked for only few minutes in my case but then now again my headset is being disconnected with iPhone with no reason, even if I keep the phone nearby headset. Anyways I told my friend to try out the same suggestion if possible, to know whether it works out in his case or not. If not then I guess you were the only lucky guy to get this solution work for such problem. Are you sure that in your case the iphone and the headset is still working fine without recreating the issue. Please do reply to my question if possible, at least I will come to know whether it really works or its just a temporary fix.

Anyways I also have another iPhone 4 and it’s not at all bad as the existing one. Every single thing including the signal/bars / antenna are fine and working well with no issues. Quite happy with this one.