Thread: Macbook battery is draining very fast.

Macbook battery is draining very fast.

I have been using my Macbook from a year and so and had no problem with it but then I have recently upgraded it to Lion and since then I have found that the battery is draining very fast, just to explain the same in detail, if I am charging it completely and using it then the battery come to 50% within an hour, it is getting hot as well, I am not sure what is the issue all about, I am quite sure that the issue has started after updating it to lion but then I am not able to track out the cause of this? any suggestions regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Macbook battery is draining very fast.

I have been using my Macbook from a year and so and had no problem with it but then I have recently upgraded it to Lion and since then I have found that the battery is draining very fast, just to explain the same in detail, if I am charging it completely and using it then the battery come to 50% within an hour, it is getting hot as well, I am not sure what is the issue all about, I am quite sure that the issue has started after updating it to lion but then I am not able to track out the cause of this? any suggestions regarding this will be appreciated.
    I that case I will suggest you to move to the Apple which will be in the upper left corner and after that select About This Mac and then click on the “More Info” option and then on System Report, when you are done until here then just select the Power option which will be in the left hand column of the System Profiler and just Copy the Battery Information from there and paste it here so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing there are possibilities that the battery might be dying, I also wanted to know that what do you do after charging the laptop to full, I mean the task that you might be carrying out??? Just let me know the things that I have asked for further help.

I have checked out the battery information as you have suggested and this is what I have found:
    Model Information:
    Serial Number:9G0120DNVE1MA
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device Name: bq20z451
    Pack Lot Code: 0
    PCB Lot Code: 0
    Firmware Version: 201
    Hardware Revision: 2
    Cell Revision: 158
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 3623
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5396
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 331
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 691
    I just wanted to share that I don’t think that there is something wrong with the battery as it was working fine with the task that I used to carry on the same without any issues, the issue has just started after updating the lion, is there anything else that need to be checked??? Any further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

If you are using runaway application then there are possibilities of them to be shortening the battery time and these applications has been found to be affecting a no of products including Mac OS X 10.0, Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.6, OS X Lion, Portable Computers,I have found that the battery runtimes can be shorten if such application might have taken over the system, if it is so then the processor will start utilizing unnecessary battery power, in order to solve out the same you can just follow the solution that has been mentioned below:
    • First just open the Activity Monitor by going in to Applications/Utilities and then select CPU tab and then select “All Processes” option from the pop-up menu which will be at the top.
    • After that Select the "% CPU" column and then check out and see if any application is taking over the CPU, if there is any running process that is taking 70% of the CPU and if you don’t need the same then you can just quit the process by selecting it and then clicking the Quit button.

This workaround can help you out in getting longer battery time, just check it out and then let me know if it is making any difference in your case or not. Best of luck.

I think that you should go through the below article and check out the information that has been mentioned there:
    How to Maximize Power Use
    Other than this I just wanted to know that which MacBook are you using , is it the one form the last generation or you are having a discrete one, if you are having the one from the last generation then I will like to add that battery in that cases are said to be retaining 80% of its charge approximately after 1000 full charge cycle, where as it is about 00 cycle for the discrete MacBook, if you want then you can check out the battery charge cycle by going to the System Profile, or if you want then you can download an application called 'Coconut Battery' which will help you out in getting detailed information.