Thread: Is it possible to add 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz in Macbook Pro late 2008

Is it possible to add 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz in Macbook Pro late 2008

I have been using Macbook Pro late 2008 from a long time and I have found that its ram can be upgraded to 8 gb so I am willing to do the same, currently I am having 2x2GB DDR3 1066Mhz with the latest firmware version and I just wanted to know that is it possible to add another 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz in Macbook Pro late 2008, Is there anyone who has tried out the same and has an idea about it, I also wanted t know that will it be really giving better speed or not?

Re: Is it possible to add 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz in Macbook Pro late 2008

I have checked it out and I have found that a EFI Firmware Update 2.8 has been released on February 28, 2012 for Late 2008 MacBook Pro. So If you are having it installed then your Boot ROM version should be MBP51.007E.B06. if it is the same then you can install the 8GB without any issues and there is no need for performing updates for installing more RAM.in order to make sure that your Late ‘08 MacBook/MacBook Pro has been addressed for getting 8GB of RAM, then you should be having one of the below models:
    • MacBook 13.3″ 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz
    • MacBook Pro 15″ 2.4GHz (All)
    • MacBook Pro 15″ 2.53GHz model w/ExpressCard Slot (Late 2008)
    • MacBook Pro 15″ 2.8GHz model w/ExpressCard Slot (Late 2008)

Later you can check out the Boot ROM Version in your System Profiler.
    If you are having a MacBook Pro with Model ID of MacBook5,1 then your Boot ROM version should be MBP51.007E.B05.
    If you are having MacBook with Model ID of MacBook5,1 then your Boot ROM version should be MB51.007D.B03
    If you are having any other macbook with different model then you won’t need an update for the same.
    If at all the Boot ROM version of you mack book is not matching to the ones that has been mentioned above then will have to get the appropriate firmware updater for your model and then follow the instruction for the installation.

when you are sure that you are having the respected Boot ROM then you can update the Operating System to OSX 10.6.6 and you must be running Snow Leopard or later for adding 8gb ram on these machines, the testing has been done for 10.6.6 so you get the same then I don’t think that there might be any issues with the speed after installing 8 gb of ram in to your system.

If you are getting the same type of RAM (DDR3) then I don’t think that there should be any issues with the board for recognizing the ram and so, as far as I am aware a higher frequency stick of RAM should be capable of clocking down to certain frequency on the board and if you are allowed to do so then a better idea will be running at its original frequency, in my case I am running Macbook Pro late 2008 and I have never faced any such issues with it, it has been almost a year under the new boot ROM, I don’t think that there will be any issues in your case but then better get matching and uniform sticks of RAM, I have found people using mixed RAM and then running in to kernel panics, so just make sure that you are getting uniform sticks of RAM to avoid such issues. Hope that helps.

I have recently bought some g-skill 2x4gb 1333 mhz ram and have added them to the Macbook Pro late 2008 and they are appearing to eb working good without any issues but then I have found that the macbook is not recognizing it as 1066 but then it is recognizing as 1333, I don’t know if that is normal but then I am not that concerned about the same as I am not facing any issues with it, I am just happy as it accepted the ram, as far as the speed of the system is concerned I have noticed that the system is now running faster as compared to the 2gb (patriot) and 1gb (stock memory) that were there in the system previously, even I will like to add that if you are thinking about making it 8gb then do get similar stick rather than getting different one and taking a risk, so just try it out and then enjoy your 8 gb like me.

Even I am willing to try out the DDR3 1333Mhz ram upgrade in my Macbook Pro late 2008, I just wanted to ask the below things to those who have successfully switched from DDR3 1067Mhz to the 1333Mhz RAM:
    1. Did you upgraded to the lion previously? If not then is there anyone who have tried out the Lion upgrade by now?
    2. Have you faced any kind of issues after adding the more rams to it?
    3. Were you having the correct Boot ROM Version previously or you have got it as it has been mentioned in the very first post?

My system is having the below specification:
    • Model Identifier:MacBookPro5,1
    • Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Processor Speed:2.53 GHz
    • L2 Cache:6 MB
    • Memory: 4 GB
    • Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
    • Boot ROM Version:MBP51.007E.B05

I really need to know all these as even I am willing to try out the same and my ram will be arriving soon as well. Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

I know that is has not been recommended to use mixed ram in this case but then I just wanted to share that I have tried out the same and in my case I am running mixed 1067/1333 setup (1 x 4Gig each) and even after that the system's stability is just great and it is working just fine as expected, I think that I can just compare the performance of it to a system that might have been pushed with multiple VMs having a compiler which is running at full tilt frequently, I also wanted to add that I have upgraded to Lion and I am not having any issues in running the system in 32bit as well as 64 bit modes, as far as the BootROM is concerned I was having the latest version before adding more 4Gig DIMM, so if anyone one wants then they can try out using mixed rom as well.

In that case I just wanted to know that on what basis you are saying that the system is running great, if you have concluded that just because you are not having any issues with it then I think that you might be lucky in your case, I also wanted to add that the operating system is not related to it, if you say that you have got it work using mixed set of Ram then there are chances that the modules which do not have correct specification might have been down clocked, I am quite sure that you are having a brand that allows downclocking and that too in the easiest way as compared to that of the others, you case Is just lucky, the 32bit 64bit Snow Leopard Lion VM's does not have anything to do with the ram as I have already mentioned, I still won’t recommend any one from using mixed ram for this process. If anyone still have any doubt regarding the same then they can very well try it out and find out the same.