Thread: How to disassemble and reassemble Sony Vaio VPCZ1 LCD

How to disassemble and reassemble Sony Vaio VPCZ1 LCD

I have a Sony Vaio VPCZ1 LCD with me and I have been using it for past many months. After using it for long time on construction area to access the data regarding my job, I think dust has been accumulated in my laptop. If I place laptop on any desk and then lift it, I find some dust on the desk. For this reason, I intend to open it and clean it as dust can harm the working of my laptop. Can anybody tell me how to safely disassemble and reassemble a Sony Vaio VPCZ1 LCD laptop?

Re: How to disassemble and reassemble Sony Vaio VPCZ1 LCD

First you will need to remove all the screws from the bottom part of the laptop. Remove all the screws even if you don’t need to operate on any specific part. After removing screws, remove all the hinges. Removing hinges is not necessary but it will provide better access while cleaning the internal parts of laptop. Removing hinges also allow the laptop to be laid flat on its back. The hinges are attached with 6 screws and covered with a black tape. After you remove the hinges, you will see the cables that connect monitor from main body. See to it that you don’t damage them.

After you have done it, you will see three Bezel screws. These Bezel screws are covered with black tape and foam in some models. You don’t need to remove them fully, but just need to loosen them. They will be blocked by the Bezel blocks and thus they can’t be removed. The bezel blocks that block the screws are held to the body with plastic clips and can be raised a little. It is preferable if you work from loosening of bottom screw first.

After Bezel screws are loosened; you can lift the LCD from its place. Be careful as many sensitive parts lie beneath it. See to it that you do not move the loose LCD sideways as it may damage the minor parts.

You will find a plastic latch or hook that holds the LCD in its place, it needs to be detached. It is very sensitive and delicate, so handle with care. Now your laptop is completely disassembled. Do not try to remove more parts as it may become very hard to assemble them back. Clean the dust from your laptop using a very soft cloth or tissue paper. Do not use wet cloth as it may short the internal circuits or make the dust sticky. Also use a blower of low intensity to blow of the dry dust particles.

Assemble the laptop in similar fashion as you disassembled it. Assembling is much difficult than disassembling. I suggest you that when assembling, working with bezel is more difficult than removing them. The Bezel holders are very delicate and can bend easily, so when working on them, be careful. Also when reassembling, start from top bezel screw rather than bottom ones. See to it that no wires are being pinched in between Bevel Screw and Bezel Lid. While attaching the hinges, look to that none of the wire is poking out. All the wires should be well placed under hinges.

Before you screw the LCD back, test if it works properly or not. The connectors of LCD are very weak and tend to come off very easily. So you need to test LCD’s working repeatedly while putting it back.

You should take care that while unscrewing the screws look to which size they are of. All the screws are of different sizes and of different shapes. So do not use a same screw driver for all the screws. You can get a repair kit from market which includes different type of screwdriver pars that will come handy when working on internal parts of the laptop. This kit also has the cleaning liquids that are useful for cleaning internal parts of the laptop.

Once you open any part of the laptop even for minor reason, its warranty expires. So if your laptop is under warranty, then you can get it cleaned at your local Sony service centre. I know many times something comes up hat you are tempted to open the laptop and work upon that matter yourself. This dust cleaning is a simple task; maybe you must have done it already. But now you won’t get any repairs under warranty even if you present valid proofs and certificates.