Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad E420 motherboard replacement

Lenovo ThinkPad E420 motherboard replacement

Seems like this Lenovo Thinkpad E420 is a big headache for me. This is the second time in 4 months I am sending it for the replacement for new motherboard. The first replacement was done about 2 1/2 months before. I don’t know for what reason the motherboard turns faulty or dead. Do you think that it is a known issue with this model? What could cause this problem actually?

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E420 motherboard replacement

Can you tell me what kind of symptoms you are seeing when your motherboard goes off? It seems to me that same case happened to me also right after 2 months of purchasing. Due to warranty I sent it for repair and it came back with the new motherboard installed. Now it is working fine. If the same thing going to happen next time, I will surely RMA the entire device rather than again and again changing the motherboard only. I hope that it is not a reoccurring issue in my case.

I understand that what you are trying to tell. As far as I know that there is no such issue with any ThinkEdge range laptops and not even with ThinkEdge E420. The issue could be due to power surge. Go through all power connection. If you have used any power strips and surge protectors, remove it and directly connect the AC power adapter to the power outlet. Make sure that battery is not dead and you are not using different battery.

Did you try to do BIOS update for your motherboard? Updating BIOS is always good for the motherboard and function of the computer but incomplete or improper BIOS update could lead you to bricked or dead motherboard. So always make sure that you are following the exact way to update it and even using proper tools provided for that only.

The same thing happened with my old Thinkpad laptop also. First of all I didn’t notice that the motherboard gone dead. I was keep trying to fix the problem. First I tired to get an external display to work with the laptop but nothing showed up on the monitor. So I sent to back to the repair center. He told me that it is a HDD problem. So checked again with different HDD but no use. Finally I came to know that motherboard itself is dead. I was shocked because it has been just 3 months passed since I have installed new motherboard in it. I am really not satisfied with Lenovo product. Now I am thinking about changing my Brand.